Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correcting JC Geography Long Q's

Options
  • 12-01-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

New teacher here, starting the sea next week and looking at past exam questions. Getting a bit confused with the marking scheme from the 2014 paper an when I do some more looking, I see that this is the guidelines given for alot of questions.

The question is:
    Name one feature formed by coastal erosion and explain, with the aid of a
    labelled diagram, how it was formed.(10)

MS:
    Feature Named @ 1m
    Labelled Diagram @ 1m
    Two Explanations of Formation @ 4m each (St2 +D1 +D1)

What qualifies as an explanation, like what is considered a statement and a development?

Here is the answer I prepared so maybe it's best to use it as an example.

One feature of coastal erosion I have studied is a cliff [Feature 1m].

A cliff is a vertical or steep slope along the coast.

It forms when destructive waves attack the coast and cut into the rock. This erodes a notch through hydraulic action, the force of the sea water hitting the coast, abrasion, the sea load being hurled at the coast, and compressed air air trapped in cracks along the coast that crack the rock.
    Over time the notch becomes deeper and undercuts the rock above. The overhanging rock eventually collapses. As the process of undercutting and collapsing continues the cliff retreats inland. This create a wave-cut platform between the high tide and low tide mark.

An example of a cliff is the Cliffs of Moher, Co. Clare.

+labelled diagram

Many thanks.

Advertisement