Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorist arrested for doing 141kmh in a 60kmh zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What speed is that in old money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

What speed is that in old money?

It's about 90 mph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

EPAndlee wrote: »
    It's about 90 mph

Maybe he was driving an english import and confuses his sixes and nines?
    Easily done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

up our way every now and again you will see a motor bike doing a break-neck speed through Barnesmore Gap. There has been an ongoing unofficial competition to see who can get from Donegal Town to Ballybofey in the quickest time. This guy is doing 180mph+ in certain stages of this clip during daytime traffic. ie. You are as safe as the traffic that you meet on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

While I agree that is was totally wrong that the driver was doing this speed having driven on this road recently I think reducing speed limit to 60kmh is over the top. Road still has two lanes. 80kmh more realistic at the moment. Might need to change as roadworks progress but not right now.

I can also see this getting thrown out of court as layout of signage/ reduced speed limit etc very haphazard + a good solicitor will rip this to shreds. Knowing what system is like in Ireland probably some paperwork that hasn't been completed/ incorrect to ensure its legal to reduce speed limit to 60kmh. I think Garda are using this person as an example but I think it will backfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

up our way every now and again you will see a motor bike doing a break-neck speed through Barnesmore Gap. There has been an ongoing unofficial competition to see who can get from Donegal Town to Ballybofey in the quickest time. This guy is doing 180mph+ in certain stages of this clip during daytime traffic. ie. You are as safe as the traffic that you meet on the roads

What a dick, should be banned for life, if they want to kill themselves that's ok, but don't go involving innocent drivers in their recklessness.

Pure idiocy.

Hardly an AH thread?

You see this everyday in the Motors Garda Twitter thread.

Strike the pose..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

appledrop wrote: »
    While I agree that is was totally wrong that the driver was doing this speed having driven on this road recently I think reducing speed limit to 60kmh is over the top. Road still has two lanes. 80kmh more realistic at the moment. Might need to change as roadworks progress but not right now.

Its not really about how fast you can drive on that section of road when it still has 2 lanes.
    Have you ever stood or worked on a road with cars going by at 80 / 100 / 120 kmph? Pretty scary. Its there to protect the workers and also the traffic from any wayward machinery or cones

You see someone exceed the speed limit by 81km/h everyday on the Garda twitter thread? I don't think so.

OMG- Not 81km/h????

Really??

81km/h!!!!!

That's terrible JOE!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Get a life- get a minicall:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

OMG- Not 81km/h????

Really??

81km/h!!!!!

That's terrible JOE!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Get a life- get a minicall:rolleyes:

Hmmm, unfortunately I didn't delete my comment in time as I had accurately guessed the reply would be on par with the barking of a baboon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I can also see this getting thrown out of court as layout of signage/ reduced speed limit etc very haphazard + a good solicitor will rip this to shreds. Knowing what system is like in Ireland probably some paperwork that hasn't been completed/ incorrect to ensure its legal to reduce speed limit to 60kmh. I think Garda are using this person as an example but I think it will backfire.

I’m sure a thorough risk analysis was done taking into account previous incidents, assigning risk ratings to potential mishaps and also taking into account the space both the drivers and workers will have. But hey a barstooler like yourself would make things much safer judging by the above.

How could it get thrown out of court? Even in normal conditions, he’s 20kmh over the speed limit, he really should get time in jail but he’ll just get the standard points and fine.

Hmmm, unfortunately I didn't delete my comment in time as I had guessed the reply would be on par with the barking of a baboon.

Ah I don’t want to disappoint you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

This one from russia is absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I understand what your saying about the workers that makes sense but speed limit is for 24/7 + I have passed 3 times thus week just before peak morning/ evening rush hour + no sign of any actual work taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think so. Doing 2.5 times the designated speed limit especially where roadworks are taking place is not going to be taken likely by the court. I'm sure the prosecutor will emphasis the importance of worker safety also to the judge. Remember that these roadworks will be ongoing for the next 2 years so you can be sure that a clear message will be sent out that this carry will come with a hefty price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

There are no consequences for people who drive in this reckless fashion and that's the frustrating thing. We're all familiar with the local speed demons who treat the roads like their own personal racetracks. The doughnuts on the roads, the racing, the dangerous driving. What's being done about it? Nothing.. I sometimes have to drive a country road which these asshóles use and all I can do is hope I don't meet one of them coming in the opposite direction. In my local town they meet in the town square and rev their cars right under the noses of the limp-wristed Gardaí who know bloody well what's going on. These people should be banned from driving and their cars/bikes taken off them. Driving is a privilege and something that comes with a certain amount of responsibility. I don't think these emptyheads got the memo.

Advertisement