Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a new house

Options
  • 11-01-2018 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I'm buying a house that's about 16 years old. It's been empty for awhile and someones ripped out the boiler. I'm using the opportunity to install a system that will future proof (and weather-event proof) the house for a decade minimum.

My thinking is this:
    • Install a condenser boiler
    • Install a kero range cooker
    • Install a larager, factory lagged tank and move to the attic
    • Install a 3 or 4 bar pump
    • Install some kind of evacuated tube solar thermal system
    • Insulate the attic space - with a view to future conversion.
    • Insulate the walls - dont want to disturb the render on the outside too much.
    • Install a wood burning stove with a back boiler

I guess what I'm wondering is what combination of the water heating systems would you recommend to work together best?

The details of the house are as follows:
    • 110sq/m
    • 8no. existing radiators
    • 4 occupants of the house
    • water provided via well
    • 2no. bathrooms
    • Gas is not an option
    • I'd be redecorating inside at some point so wouldn't be to averse to insulating inside if pumped insulation is too expensive or ineffective
    I know that there's a lot of variables here and some of it will come down to priorities but I would appreciate any advice you could give. We are a young family and looking to live here for 20+ years.

I've attached a rough sketch of the system I'm describing above. Please ignore the values next to them they are just my notes about the max available grants.

Regards,
    David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

You might need to rethink this,
    In my opinion fitting solar panels does not pay.
    You should fit zones so you only heat the areas you want to heat.There is a 700 euro grant for this in april.
    The grants are changing in april 2018

https://selfbuild.ie/news/heat-pumps-eligible-renovation-grants-april/

This unit qualifies for a 3500 euro grant in april as far as i know.

http://grantengineering.ie/high-efficiency-heating_products/grant-vortexair-hybrid-range/

Insulation spec is very important

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DanteMancino

Thanks for the advice.

I've seen these advertised but they seem to be making the product information intentionally cryptic - particularly GlenDimplex brochures. How does this tie in to the rest of the heating system in the house?

The zoning is definitely something that I would be interested in but would need the advice of a reliable man on the ground to explain what other works would be required in the house. I have a really reliable RGII fella who has done work for me for years but I haven't been able to get him in to look at this house.

I was thinking of Isotherm foam in the attic with a heavy insulated board - like Xtratherm or something - between the joists.

For the walls, I'm torn between using a 72mm board on the most exposed walls and a 56mm on the less exposed or getting the walls pumped. I don't have any reliable and non-biased comparisons.

Regards,

David

I dont think getting the walls pumped will bring it up the spec that you want.The 56mm board is certainly the way to go with the option of pumping the cavity depending what is in the cavity already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DanteMancino

Yeah, its just down to the extra cost of skimming and moving sockets etc. I might see what the infra reads from the walls and do it selectively.

It's a solitary build rather than an estate so the walls could contain anything from Kingspan to cottage cheese.

Thanks for your advice.

Possibly 60 mm aeroboard which is not great

• Advertisement
Advertisement