Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE self-censorship via "acceptance viewing."

Options
  • 11-01-2018 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I recently put up a thread (actually 2 threads) on other Boards.ie forums in order to comment on the unexplained last-minute pulling of a scheduled series on World War 2 by RTE 2 in December.

I also sent a query into RTE about this, and part of their reply is as follows:

"Acceptance viewing deemed that episode inappropriate for the time slot and hence it was pulled.There is no date for a future broadcast."

Perhaps I am rather naive and innocent, but I have never heard of RTE's "Acceptance viewing" procedure, and I certainly had no inkling that such a procedure was used for programmes which were already scheduled and about to air.

I find this just a little disturbing. It appears to mean that there exists, within RTE, a panel of viewers or critics which has the power to pull programmes even at the last minute with no publicity, discussion or explanation.

Personally, I would prefer a more transparent procedure for deciding what is shown on RTE, and when.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭jmcc

Probably some panel of inbred, dimwitted offspring of RTE/Labour insiders who were too stupid and talentless for their own RTE "programme". The series will probably be available elsewhere.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

You may be right jmcc, but I still think this needs to be publicised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You may be right jmcc, but I still think this needs to be publicised.

What time did it air at? I know a few years ago they pulled an Aussie drama from Sunday afternoon as it was clearly not suitable but it could have easily aired at 7pm or 8pm on RTÉ 2, they pushed it beyond midnight but not out of censorship!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Elmo wrote: »
    What time did it air at? I know a few years ago they pulled an Aussie drama from Sunday afternoon as it was clearly not suitable but it could have easily aired at 7pm or 8pm on RTÉ 2, they pushed it beyond midnight but not out of censorship!

Just on this RTÉ received a number of complaints about the time the series aired, before it was pulled from the Sunday Afternoon Time slot. So I am not sure about this Acceptance Viewing panel. Also what was the name of the show you are referring too?

It was Inside World war 2, and was due to air at 8pm the 2 Sunday nights in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Every program is checked by a compliance person / Lawyer.

These people check to see if anything could be unlawful in a program or if there is swearing/gore or for quality control.

They also check things like subtitles and audio description.

These standards are in place to control programming to make sure that rubbish is not shown or that something that is too gory put out before the watershed.

By the sounds of it, this program didn't pass the quality check and that is why it won't be broadcast.

But aftabollix, these programmes were on the RTE evening schedule for some time already. In fact, the second programme was even flagged as coming on at 7.55 pm!

Is RTE so slipshod that it advertises programmes at such a late stage without having already done these quality or suitability checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Sometimes these things come in very late. I've had to delay programs before as we didn't have the tape! (Other TV channels)

Most of the time you get tapes a few days beforehand if you are lucky! Then the program would be flagged and more senior people would view it then it would be decided what to do.

It's not censorship.

I find that very surprising. If that is the case, I wonder why aren't scores more programmes being pullled at the last minute.

It is even more worrying that no public explanation, announcement or apology was made by RTE for doing this. Thay simply pulled a programme that viewers were legitimately expecting to watch, without notice, and to hell with us. They simply did not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭jmcc

Gore in a WW2 documentary/series? Who'd have thunk it? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
Advertisement