Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for P.R from Ireland

Options
  • 11-01-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I worked in Canada between August 2014 to December 2016. I had applied for an extension so it would buy me time to apply for P.R. Instead of an extension I was granted a visitors visa for 3 months, this was useless as I couldn't work so I came home. After a year of humming and hawing whether to apply for P.R I have decide that I will apply for it this year.

I am wondering if anyone has applied for it from Ireland and how difficult/easy it is compared to applying whilst in Canada?
    I am also looking for links to research this.
    I am also looking into different Provinces as colder/isolated places are a little easier to get in.
    My background is mostly hospitality so I would be going through this.
    I am also over 35 so a second visa is out of the question.
    Looking forward to your replies.
    XXxX
    Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I'm a bit confused about your post. What PR stream are you going to apply for? Usually PR is only granted with a job offer or sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

123DarcySt wrote: »
    I worked in Canada between August 2014 to December 2016. I had applied for an extension so it would buy me time to apply for P.R. Instead of an extension I was granted a visitors visa for 3 months, this was useless as I couldn't work so I came home. After a year of humming and hawing whether to apply for P.R I have decide that I will apply for it this year.

I am wondering if anyone has applied for it from Ireland and how difficult/easy it is compared to applying whilst in Canada?
    I am also looking for links to research this.
    I am also looking into different Provinces as colder/isolated places are a little easier to get in.
    My background is mostly hospitality so I would be going through this.
    I am also over 35 so a second visa is out of the question.
    Looking forward to your replies.
    XXxX
    Sarah

Hi; Do a google search for Express Entry.

Express Entry is the selection system for Canadian immigration, designed to select skilled workers for immigration to Canada. Express Entry is a completely electronic process. You may get extra points if nominated by a province.

There are many other threads on boards regarding this topic. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Arcto wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about your post. What PR stream are you going to apply for? Usually PR is only granted with a job offer or sponsorship?

That's not true - you can get PR without job offer or sponsorship or without even visiting Canada.

It's an entirely points based system and once you get enough points then you are good to go. Of course, having job offer and Canadian experience does help you get more points.

That's not true - you can get PR without job offer or sponsorship or without even visiting Canada.

It's an entirely points based system and once you get enough points then you are good to go. Of course, having job offer and Canadian experience does help you get more points.
    Sorry, to clarify I was referring more specifically to 123DarcySt's situation, noting "My background is mostly hospitality". They don't generally grant PR on the back of "I want to work in Tim Hortons". Unless 123DarcySt has diplomas, trades etc to boost their points then it is very unlikely that they will be granted PR.
    My friend is over here right now coming to the end of his 2 year working visa and is not eligible to apply for PR as he has no marketable skills. He had worked in Ireland for 5+ years in McDonalds (hospitality).

Sorry, to clarify I was referring more specifically to 123DarcySt's situation, noting "My background is mostly hospitality". They don't generally grant PR on the back of "I want to work in Tim Hortons". Unless 123DarcySt has diplomas, trades etc to boost their points then it is very unlikely that they will be granted PR.
    My friend is over here right now coming to the end of his 2 year working visa and is not eligible to apply for PR as he has no marketable skills. He had worked in Ireland for 5+ years in McDonalds (hospitality).

What if they do have a degree and some years experience in supervisor/management roles? Being a supervisor/manager counts as skilled work for immigration purposes.

I would definitely advise anyone who wants to apply for PR to check their points first before spending time and money on the process but your statement that "Usually PR is only granted with a job offer or sponsorship?" is false.

• Advertisement

I am not saying they do not have a degree, just pointing out that unless they have some marketable skill besides hospitality it is not going to work out for them. 

And can you give me an example of where PR is granted without some kind of sponsorship from a company? It was my understanding that you needed to have something like that to be considered, unless you have exceptional value from education.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I am not saying they do not have a degree, just pointing out that unless they have some marketable skill besides hospitality it is not going to work out for them. 

And can you give me an example of where PR is granted without some kind of sponsorship from a company? It was my understanding that you needed to have something like that to be considered, unless you have exceptional value from education.

I looked at Express Entry before I got an IEC. They have a points calculator and I scored very highly on it, but not 'sure thing' high enough. What let me down, as it's weighted, was not having a previous job or experience in Canada. That was pretty much it.

If you got an IEC and worked for a year, you would be in a very good place to get Express Entry. You don't need a job offer or sponsorship but you must prove that you have a year of unbroken work.

An additional merit is given for speaking even basic French, higher education (Masters) and have significant ties to Canada e.g. Common law/marriage. Being in an 'in demand' sector also pushes you quite high.

Again, what is going to let them down here is that the previous work experience in Canada part is from NOC levels 0, A and B. Hospitality work falls under category C, and as such is not worth any points in the calculator.

This is unless they worked as a restaurant manager, which would be category A.

Again, what is going to let them down here is that the previous work experience in Canada part is from NOC levels 0, A and B. Hospitality work falls under category C, and as such is not worth any points in the calculator.

There are plenty of other hospitality jobs that fall under 0/A/B aside from restaurant manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

True but if the OP has a Bachelors / Masters, does a course in IT and got some form of accreditation in French, they'd probably have a very good shot.

• Advertisement

There are plenty of other hospitality jobs that fall under 0/A/B aside from restaurant manager.
    Such as?

Advertisement