Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fail a module = Automatic Pass Degree, no matter what your %

Options
  • 11-01-2018 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all
    I did a level 8 honors degree in Business but I had a complete meltdown in one of the module exams.
    I resat the exam and passed it but even if this result was capped at 40%. 
    My overall average was 54% but I only got a Pass Degree.
    It seems incredibly unfair to base 4 years of education down to one meltdown and handicaps me for further education.
    I was told, once you fail a module. A pass is all you can get 
    Is this true??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It depends on university. You are lucky btw, in some unis if you fail anything you don't get a degree at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Odds are you won't move above a pass grade, while it seems a bit harsh, I guess it prevents students from taking the piss during exam time, if there was no real disadvantage to failing other than having to pay to repeat it, then students would probably end up failing a lot more exams in the hope of doing better in the repeats and thus giving them a better GPA. Some students would probably ignore 2 or 3 exams, focus on the other ones and do quite well, then spend the Summer studying the ones they failed and they could end up with a pretty high GPA

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

siblers wrote: »
    Odds are you won't move above a pass grade, while it seems a bit harsh, I guess it prevents students from taking the piss during exam time, if there was no real disadvantage to failing other than having to pay to repeat it, then students would probably end up failing a lot more exams in the hope of doing better in the repeats and thus giving them a better GPA. Some students would probably ignore 2 or 3 exams, focus on the other ones and do quite well, then spend the Summer studying the ones they failed and they could end up with a pretty high GPA
    I thought the punishment for failing an exam was that they were capped at 40% so that would seem to be a pretty good deterrent from your idea. So would make no sense to purposely fail when you will get a poorer overall %.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

siblers wrote: »
    I thought the punishment for failing an exam was that they were capped at 40% so that would seem to be a pretty good deterrent from your idea. So would make no sense to purposely fail when you will a poorer overall %.

Advertisement