Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof spots on 4x4 and truck query

Options
  • 11-01-2018 1:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

How come trucks are legal to have spots on the roof and 4x4 and vans aren’t? I have been told by a guard that the max height a spot light or led light bar can be is the height of existing headlights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

How come trucks are legal to have spots on the roof and 4x4 and vans aren’t? I have been told by a guard that the max height a spot light or led light bar can be is the height of existing headlights.

First I heard of this.
    Be interested to see some the legislation on it.
    I've got a light bar on a hilux roll bar and it's not caused any issues with the gardaiii or cvrt test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

He is correct, SI 189 of 1963

S.I. No. 189 of 1963.

ROAD TRAFFIC (LIGHTING OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963.

PART I.

44 Restrictions on height of front lamps.

44. (1) Every lamp (other than a lamp referred to in sub-article (3) of this article) which is fitted to a mechanically propelled vehicle or trailer and which, when lit, shows a light to the front of the vehicle shall be so fitted that—

(a) no part of its illuminated surface is more than 4 feet or, in the case of a goods vehicle registered before the 1st day of January, 1952, 4 feet and 6 inches from the ground, and

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

CJhaughey wrote: »
    He is correct, SI 189 of 1963

S.I. No. 189 of 1963.

ROAD TRAFFIC (LIGHTING OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963.

PART I.

44 Restrictions on height of front lamps.

44. (1) Every lamp (other than a lamp referred to in sub-article (3) of this article) which is fitted to a mechanically propelled vehicle or trailer and which, when lit, shows a light to the front of the vehicle shall be so fitted that—

(a) no part of its illuminated surface is more than 4 feet or, in the case of a goods vehicle registered before the 1st day of January, 1952, 4 feet and 6 inches from the ground, and

Reading down through that most cars are illegal because of the height of the fog lamps fitted Whole thing is 55 yrs old and never amended. Needs to be modernised.

Reading down through that most cars are illegal because of the height of the fog lamps fitted Whole thing is 55 yrs old and never amended. Needs to be modernised.

Fogs are listed:
    (b) (except in the case of a fog lamp) no part of its illuminated surface is less than 1 foot and 8 inches from the ground.

(2) In sub-article (1) of this article, "fog lamp" means a lamp fitted to a vehicle so as, when lit, to show a light to the front of the vehicle and intended for use only in fog or while snow is falling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

So all the commercial trucks that have the line of four spots are illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I have mine on a separate switch, I wonder is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭emaherx

kay 9 wrote: »
    I have mine on a separate switch, I wonder is that ok?

On a separate switch I'm sure they are fine as long as not used on public roads. Same as tractors with roof spots. To be fair it is completely selfish to use these spots on the road anyway. You are not allowed drive with your fog lights on either unless it is actually foggy.

So all the commercial trucks that have the line of four spots are illegal?

Going by that SI I would say they are, either CVRT are not aware of the legality or they wilfully ignore it.
    Some Gardai obviously know the law though!

Advertisement