Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bad experience with DeGiro Ireland

Options
  • 11-01-2018 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Like many, I was very happy to read about DeGiro's low cost trading and investment products being made available in the Irish market. It seems that their Ryan Air model of low fees also equates to the early days of Ryan Air's lack of service. Dealing with them on issues around setting up an account left me wanting my funds as far from them as possible.

Creating my account seemed like it went perfectly, and I transferred €1,000 to the account number they gave me at the end of my account registration process. I went to log into my DeGiro account, but ... there was no account. So I now had no idea about the status of my funds. In the following days I received emails telling me to complete registration. But no matter what I did, registration wouldn't work. I was very disappointed that they had presented an account number to which I was to transfer funds if my account had never been registered properly. I felt like an eejit who had sent €1,000 to a company because I trusted them based on Irish Times and Irish Independent articles.

I emailed DeGiro's Irish email address and they told me to keep complete my registration, even though I told them that didn't work. Then they told me to set up a new account from scratch, which didn't fill me with confidence, but I went through with it and ... I had the exact same problem. At this point I had looped in their complaints email address (which is UK based) and asked them to either tell me what the problem is, or give me my money back. They replied, but ignored my questions, so I asked for my money back. I got an email last night saying they were going to refund me. They had my money for 4 weeks without me ever being able to login into any DeGiro account.

Mistakes happen in business, but a company selling trading and investment services to Joe public shouldn't prompt you to send them money when your account isn't working. And when that does happen in error, they should take it seriously and answer their customers questions. I'm sure others have had positive experiences, and I'm sure that they will survive without my business, but I'm not letting them any where near my money and I'm writing my first Boards post in a aaaaages so others can be aware. As always: caveat emptor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sounds like a very frustrating experience.

When you set up the account initially, did you receive any emails from DeGiro telling you that your account was created? I received a welcome type email saying "You’ve opened an account at DEGIRO (Username: xxxxxxxxxxx)"?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭dickface

I did not experience this problem

Advertisement