Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in holiday policy

Options
  • 10-01-2018 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hey I was wondering if a company can change their holiday policy without notifying staff? I’m in my current job for almost four years, in this time any unused holiday days could be rolled over to the following year. However I heard today from a secretary that this is no longer the case and any left at the end of next month any unused holidays will be forfeited. I will confirm this with management on Friday,but I’ve 15+ days left from last year which I don’t want to lose and won’t be able to take between now and then, do I have any right to argue as they haven’t given sufficient notice to take the holidays? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

th283 wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering if a company can change their holiday policy without notifying staff? I’m in my current job for almost four years, in this time any unused holiday days could be rolled over to the following year. However I heard today from a secretary that this is no longer the case and any left at the end of next month any unused holidays will be forfeited. I will confirm this with management on Friday,but I’ve 15+ days left from last year which I don’t want to lose and won’t be able to take between now and then, do I have any right to argue as they haven’t given sufficient notice to take the holidays? Thanks in advance

Yes they can change their policy but m red to tell you.

Where did the secretary say she heard this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They cannot take away your statutory leave. So if you have had less than 20 days leave last year then they would be breaking the law by refusing to give you what you are owed.

Above that it depends on your contract but if they want to take your excess days then they really need to pay you in lieu especially if your contract specifies the number and doesn't have a qualifier about carrying over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Your contract was not changed was it? If not then they are obliged by contract, and by law - Although a sticky situation, your in the right

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ardinn wrote: »
    Your contract was not changed was it? If not then they are obliged by contract, and by law - Although a sticky situation, your in the right

We're only allowed carry over 4 days. Does this mean if I have 7 they have to pay me for the 3, because currently they have been just taking them off us

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Assuming that it's work commitments that won't allow you to take the holiday before the deadline, I would put in a request to take them all immediately.

I would expect that to result in one of three outcomes; you get the next 3 weeks off, the company reconsider their position around your carried leave, you get paid for the days instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Quazzie wrote: »
    We're only allowed carry over 4 days. Does this mean if I have 7 they have to pay me for the 3, because currently they have been just taking them off us

Cant pay people for holidays and have them in work, they have to take them. Thats illegal.

Current job did the same as OP but gave staff 2 years notice, main reason was people with 15ish days carrying over. Company was in breach due to not forcing staff to take the required amount of holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Thanks for all the replies. The secretary heard it from the office manager who is away until Friday so I can’t confirm it with them until then. I’ve checked my contract, there is no mention of holiday rollover in there.

I can’t take all the holidays before the deadline due to meetings and being abroad for work. I’m hoping they will be reasonable, and let me keep them in fairness I’ve two weeks holidays booked for March and could try and take a day off here and there between now and then

Thanks again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks for all the replies. The secretary heard it from the office manager who is away until Friday so I can’t confirm it with them until then. I’ve checked my contract, there is no mention of holiday rollover in there.

I can’t take all the holidays before the deadline due to meetings and being abroad for work. I’m hoping they will be reasonable, and let me keep them in fairness I’ve two weeks holidays booked for March and could try and take a day off here and there between now and then

Thanks again

How many days holidays did you take last year?

Stheno wrote: »
    How many days holidays did you take last year?

About 14 I think, I had carried over some from 2016

About 14 I think, I had carried over some from 2016

Is that 14 in total? Or did you take some of the days you carried over?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that 14 in total? Or did you take some of the days you carried over?

14 in total, 9 from 2016 and 5 from 2017

14 in total

You should have been allowed/required to take 20 which is statutory leave

As for the rest your company is not obliged to allow you carry them over and for the six statutory days they don't have to carry those over either by law

However they are in breach for not ensuring you got the statutory leave

I'll post a link when I get to my laptop

Advertisement