Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pps number

Options
  • 10-01-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi
    I am American married to Irish person. I want to be self employed. I can’t get pps number from employer for this reason bc I want to work for myself. But also need it to take driver Theory Test etc. does anyone have any ideas how to get pps. Without having letter from employer. It is causing me a lot trouble not having it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Tell them you need to do your theory test, bring a completed theory test form and the other requirements (proof of address etc). Also send an email to the theory test people asking if you can take the test without a pps number, they will email back no.

Don't take no for an answer from the person on the counter at Social Protection. Just insist that you need a pps to engage with the theory test process.

I would actually suggest bringing your husband for back up. Lady on the counter for my husband was adamant that he wasn't entitled to one until I got up from the waiting area to set her straight.

I pity the people with limited English skills that have to deal with this. You have your GNIB, you are entitled to be here, you are entitled to a pps to engage with services.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 iris98

Thanks so much for your response. I will do just as you recommend. It is super helpful:)
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Tell them you need to do your theory test, bring a completed theory test form and the other requirements (proof of address etc). Also send an email to the theory test people asking if you can take the test without a pps number, they will email back no.

Don't take no for an answer from the person on the counter at Social Protection. Just insist that you need a pps to engage with the theory test process.

I would actually suggest bringing your husband for back up. Lady on the counter for my husband was adamant that he wasn't entitled to one until I got up from the waiting area to set her straight.

I pity the people with limited English skills that have to deal with this. You have your GNIB, you are entitled to be here, you are entitled to a pps to engage with services.

No need to go to all that bother.Just bring in the completed forms/evidence and its straightforward.Tell them you need it as ID and for theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

yabadabado wrote: »
    No need to go to all that bother.Just bring in the completed forms/evidence and its straightforward.Tell them you need it as ID and for theory test.

I'd imagine that like most cases, it depends on who you get on the day.

My husband required 3 separate trips to the social welfare office until I finally lost the plot and stepped in. He had all the evidence that they finally accepted the first time he went.

Have heard from others that they received a lot of push back too despite meeting the requirements. Was only chatting to a Spanish friend there on Tuesday night about the whole ordeal!

You must have been lucky and good a nice one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

It'll be a waste of time if you don't have your GNIB CARD. The NDLS will not entertain an application without a GNIB card so for that reason the Dept of Employment Affairs and Social Protection will ask you for one.

Bring your Passport, GNIB card, proof of address and NDLS form filled out and I guarantee you will have absolutely no problem. While it's not essential,bring your marraige certificate for the record.

Advertisement