Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floors

Options
  • 09-01-2018 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I just wrote a post there and submitted it or so I thought and it seems to have disappeared.
    I've bought an house which was built in the 1950's or thereabouts. I'm very out of my depth but hoping to retain the feeling of an old house and have a bit of an art deco influence going on.
    I really like the idea of tiles in the hall bathroom and kitchen and floorboards in the sitting room and bedroom. I'm interested in having an air to water heating system and it was suggested to me that i might put in underfloor heating since all the original floor has to come up. So:
    When choosing floor boards, how do you decide between laminate , solid and engineered. (i might want to paint these floorboards also)
    I've had a look in a few tile shops but I'm interested in victorian or retro style tiles and it looks like that might be difficult, can anyone recommend anywhere?
    Also re underfloor heating, a couple of people have said I'm mad to even to even think of it, what are the pros and cons?
    Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I just wrote a post there and submitted it or so I thought and it seems to have disappeared.
    I've bought an house which was built in the 1950's or thereabouts. I'm very out of my depth but hoping to retain the feeling of an old house and have a bit of an art deco influence going on.
    I really like the idea of tiles in the hall bathroom and kitchen and floorboards in the sitting room and bedroom. I'm interested in having an air to water heating system and it was suggested to me that i might put in underfloor heating since all the original floor has to come up. So:
    When choosing floor boards, how do you decide between laminate , solid and engineered. (i might want to paint these floorboards also)
    I've had a look in a few tile shops but I'm interested in victorian or retro style tiles and it looks like that might be difficult, can anyone recommend anywhere?
    Also re underfloor heating, a couple of people have said I'm mad to even to even think of it, what are the pros and cons?
    Thanks so much.

Defo not laminate if you are looking for the old look, the engineered or solid should be able achievable the desired look, just take particular note of the size of board you want to replace etc.

If your interested in the older tiles look at the winckelmans tiles, they are extremely expensive thou, I am having them installed this week on a job in an ensuite floor and they will end up costing nearly €3k for a small 1.8x2.8m floor.

You will most likely need to upgrade your insulation envelope, windows etc for underfloor heating to function properly

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Thanks so much, that's very helpful.
    Yeah those tiles sound a bit out of my price range but at least it's a place to start to looking.
    Will definately be insulating the hell out of the place, it's like an icebox at the moment ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fiona McP

We have Victorian floor tiles in our hall and engineered oak in the rest of the downstairs and underfloor heating throughout - all works wonderfully. The tiles are from Mosaic Assemblers in Fonthill Business Park beside Liffey Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Fiona McP wrote: »
    We have Victorian floor tiles in our hall and engineered oak in the rest of the downstairs and underfloor heating throughout - all works wonderfully. The tiles are from Mosaic Assemblers in Fonthill Business Park beside Liffey Valley.

That's sounds ideal Fiona thank you, going to check out that tile place for sure:)

Advertisement