Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Civil Service: How Long do you have to wait before you can take a Career Break?

Options
  • 09-01-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Irish Civil Service - How Long do you have to wait before you can take a Career Break?

I have worked in the Irish Civil Service for over two years now. I was recently promoted six months ago which means that my probationary period expires in six months time.

I like my job and I know how lucky I am to have one, but I have always wanted to travel and would like to do this before I hit 35. However, I would like to have a job to come back to when I return to Ireland. Would it be acceptable to apply for a Career Break immediately after my probationary period expires ? Has anyone ever heard of this happening before ? Would it be considered 'bad form' to apply for a career break so soon after being promoted ?Unofficially, how how many years are you meant to work in the civil service before you apply for a career break ?

Any info on this is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think it depends on where you are, do you not have policies on the Intranet to refer to or a handbook of some kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

tribeo765 wrote: »
    How Long do you have to wait before you can take a Career Break?

Two years, including any probationary period/s.
    Would it be acceptable to apply for a Career Break immediately after my probationary period expires ? Has anyone ever heard of this happening before ? Would it be considered 'bad form' to apply for a career break so soon after being promoted ?Unofficially, how how many years are you meant to work in the civil service before you apply for a career break ?

Can't answer any of those because they're entirely related to the internal politics of your office, section, and Department.

Don't think you can apply till your probation is over, and you need to give a month's notice (or more if you're above AP grade).

Rules are here: http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2013/04.pdf

But can you apply once you're out of probation? Yes. Why not wait till your probation in the role is over (just in case) then sound out your boss on your plan to take one within a year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The worst that can happen is that they refuse the application

I dont think there would be any other issues with applying - of course people can be frustrated at having such recently appointed staff leave and have to get another new person to train etc but such is life

and if there is someone that small minded to be holding a grudge then who cares

If you are concerned I would suggest that you sound people out informally first also and make it clear that it is about your wish to travel and not any issues you have at work.

Advertisement