Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festival - Day 1 - Predictions

Options
  • 09-01-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Rogers Guide to Cheltenham 2018

Day 1 Tuesday 13/03/18

Supreme Novices
    Next Destination likely to go off fav on the day, presuming Samcro swerves. Not sold on this horse myself and all things being well, I will back Elliots classy Mengli Khan, @6/1, forgiving his moment of madness last day out. Previous runs justify the faith for me. Sharjah was shaping well in the same race until coming down one out and remains one to consider. WPM’s Getabird is an interesting entry at a decent price. Of the outsiders Le Richbourg has class in abundance and at 25/1 could be a decent ew bet
    Arkle Chase
    This is Footpads race to lose, simple as that. A sensation since switching to the larger obstacles, Footpad has the look of a young Vautour. High praise indeed. Jumps like a stag and gains at almost every fence over opponents landing in full throttle. Only a fall can beat him for me. On the off chance something does go wrong, Henry De Bromhead’s exciting Petit Mouchoir should be there to pick up the pieces. At a price former course winner Diego Charmil at 33/1 looks a good ew bet, if it runs in this race. Last weekends winner Demi Sange also warrants a mention.

Ultima Chase
    The first big Handicap of the festival is wide open at the moment. Recent winner Anibale fly looks a good price @10/1. WPM may send Total Recall however the talk seems to be he will miss the week and be kept for Aintree. Nicky Henderson’s Beware the Bear disappointed at Chepstow in the Welsh National so perhaps old favourite and course winner Mall Dini might be worth a punt at 16/1. Selection on all known form however goes to ANIBALE FLY

Champion Hurdle
    There is no escaping it, this race is all about will he or won’t’ he! Will Faugheen run. If the answer is no, this race looks a procession for the excellent Beavau D’air. Some other possible runners deserve a mention, Melon has talent but has shown us nothing so far to say he could possibly beat Nicky’s superstar. Defil De Seuil is an interesting one, a very impressive winner here last year who has not had a great start to the season but retains the talent to compete. If Yorkhll runs here, all bets are off, but assuming it does not, and FAUGHEEN does, my money is on the macchhhiiinnneeee….

OLBG Mares Hurdle
    No need to over analyse this race. Barring a fall or a switch to another race, APPLES JADE win this hands down. In the unlikely event something happens, Lets Dance seems best placed to pick up the scraps, although there has been a lot of talk about Rich Ricci’s Benie Des Dieux, but her participation probably depends on the health of the old warrior Vroum Vroum Mag, who after last year’s exertions and this year’s seeming disappearance, is hard to fancy if she does run

National Hunt Chase
    This is Presenting Percy V Monalee. If recent runs are anything to go by, Davy won’t have to think too hard about which one to ride. PRESENTING PERCY was simply class in winning over a new longer distance last time out and looks all out a handicap winner at the festival again this year. Without the hassle of the BHA Handicapper on their case this year, I find it very hard to make a case for Monalee beating Percy. At a price, Jury Duty, currently 10/1 is worth a look ew.

Close Bros Handicap Chase
    Al Boum Photo in this one for me. Not much to go on really, a disappointing run last time out when falling as fav in Limerick, however 3 wins in previous 6 starts points to a decent handicap chaser. Hells Kitchen will go off as fav but its hard to justify his 6/1 price compared to Al Boum Photo’s 10/1. Will be interesting to see jockeys choices and how they are treated by the handicapper. Provisional fancy for AL BOUM PHOTO but with no real conviction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

I know i know its ages away....i know this is all completely pointless when half of them might not turn up....
    But it was a bit of craic, and its only for ****s and giggles anyways!
    Just pretending its tomorrow....
    Dont take it seriously...
    I know ye wont anyways!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Anibale fly will probably have a rating of about 163(159 here) for any handicap he's entered in. Is there an upper limit of 155 in the Ultima or is it open? Either way i think handicap's are almost certainly out of the question ,Punchestown Gold cup perhaps on the agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭culline

Clearly getting festival fever already RR! Like those picks. Both Percy and Monalee look to be aimed at the RSA

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

I always try to keep an open mind until the week running up to the festival. I'll try to give a weighting to spring form.

The one I think is interesting for day one is coo star sivola in the novice handicap chase.

Rogers Guide to Cheltenham 2018

Day 1 Tuesday 13/03/18

Al Boum Photo in this one for me. Not much to go on really, a disappointing run last time out when falling as fav in Limerick, however 3 wins in previous 6 starts points to a decent handicap chaser. Hells Kitchen will go off as fav but its hard to justify his 6/1 price compared to Al Boum Photo’s 10/1. Will be interesting to see jockeys choices and how they are treated by the handicapper. Provisional fancy for AL BOUM PHOTO but with no real conviction.

I don't think that it was a disappointing run from Al boum photo, just a disappointing fall when he had the race won. I thought that is a good level of form too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Massimo Tara

If the cap fits for the supreme is my fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Anibale Flys days in handicaps are over. Next Destination and Monalee will not run in the the races mentioned either.

I'm hoping Al Boum Photo goes to the JLT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Al Boum will go the JLT. I’d be all over Jury Duty for the 4 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JagoMoon

The National Hunt Chase is an amateur race so Davy wouldn't ride Percy if that's the race they go for. Looks to have the class for the RSA and with Davy on board would surely go close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Wasn't faugheen ruled out of Cheltenham a week ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Faugheen still in running

Take what I said about NH Chase and transfer it word for word to the RSA :)

To be honest lads, I had an hour to kill, went throught the NRNB odds for each race and went with that

Didnt go too deep into it

I just cant wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Thanks. Thought it was rules out i read. Got it completely the wrong way round

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sweeneed

Supreme Novices
    Syar or Getabird if he goes fo rthis. liked debuchet until i seen him jump over xmas!

Arkle Chase
    Footpad all the way. petit mouchoir ew or reverse forecast

Ultima Chase
    i miss Holywell for this one!! must see the weights but maybe mala beach or mall dini.

Champion Hurdle
    hoping its all a big stroke and faugheen is fine. ill go for him with the heart and better price now but the 10 year old stat always worries me. was all over the fly few years ago age 10 and he fairly flopped although ran cracker again aged 11.

OLBG Mares Hurdle
    ill chance lets dance for some antepost value and maybe apples jade will go stayers.

National Hunt Chase
    hard to know who wil run here. defo presenting percy if not in the RSA. like black corton, battleford from whats listed

ballyandy, any second now..... again very little studying done here and like to see weights

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Who tipped up labaik around this time last year here? Got dogs abuse for it at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Anyone any views on where they think Espoir Dallen will run, the Triumph seems most likely but also entered in the Fred Winter.

Been very impressed with this horse's recent runs and think there's a lot more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

carq wrote: »
    Who tipped up labaik around this time last year here? Got dogs abuse for it at the time!

Can't remember who it was but I knowll i was one of the doubters.
    I remember enquiring with someone I know in Elliott's what would be the best novice they had that hadn't shown their hand and I think they gave me someone like Balthazar D'allier. Not much heard of him since.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2057664926&sort=oldest&date_to=&date_from=&query=labaik

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

My Antepost book (those still running) with a few selections/thoughts thrown in:

Supreme
    If The Cap Fits @ 80's and 40's. Really like the profile of this horse at the start of the season, however I wanted to see him run at cheltenham prior to festival and also winning a graded race over hurdles. Time is running out along with options now, so I'm slightly concerned that the supreme will be is 'blow out in graded company' before heading to Aintree and winning the novice hurdle there

Next Destination @ 24's, think Mullins has really struggled this year. Annamix was his star for this. Think he may bring ND back down to 2 miles - mullins bingo!

Ballymore
    Samcro. No surprise here... this horse could be something special. No bet yet, expecting to throw him into doubles and treble once final decs are in

Arkle
    Footpad looks impressive, but he's a notch behind the likes of Altior and UDS. Field looks very week outside the top three of betting. 

Champion Hurdle
    Buevur D'Air will win this. Huge ask from Faugheen now. 

Queen Mother
    Already have Altior backed in a few acca's but I really dont like the fact he's missed the best part of the season. It's a huge negative! This could be a Dodging Bullets year, with the one who has raced in and won the key trials - my brain is saying Politologue

Stayers
    A very interesting renewal. Haven't got a clue yet on this one

Gold Cup
    Been in this game for 7 years, never back a winner in the Gold Cup :'( ..... so.... it's probably worth laying these below :D

In terms of antepost bets, I have.... 
    Clan Des Obeaux at 260, thinking that he could be a Denman this season :ermm: I'm surprised he's in initial entries given the route Nichols has taken him, he's best at Newbury and maybe at a lower level so will keep him in my notebook for next season

Backed Road To Respect at 85's at start of season, nearly threw away the betting slip after losing out to Outlander. Not sure how to take the Lexus form. Not on for huge money tbh

Backed Bachasson at 100, a fun bet

Might Bite is the worthy favourite, but there are still so many questions at this stage. He's a RSA winner, a KG winner and appears to be enjoying the game. With the likes of Sizing John underperforming and Thistlecrack being injured, you'd think this is his for the taking. The jokers in the pack, Douvan and Yorkhill, were just that... jokers. Then I look at the rest of the field, I like Whisper and Disco to place at decent prices, but the rest lack the quality needed here. Might Bite is going to break most of a mile out, those trying to keep up with the pace will be punished. Hence why I like Whispers chances here, Davy will do exactly what he did in the RSA and run his own race and try and pick up the pieces. However, Might Bite has got rid of those quirks from last season.

Remember, I'm 0 from 7 Gold Cups!!!

Tracking
    Blow By Blow - switched yards, and has been running stinkers since! Has ability based on his bumper form, has he lost it or will we see his bowl up at a huge price

I have a few nice AP bets still running, although I've been better this year with the volume of AP bets I say up to 35% of them are already down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Twas Gringo who put him up. Said there was a novice at Elliott's that used to destroy Death Duty at home. Funnily enough, I heard Keith Donoghue say a few months back that he rode Labaik in a piece of work against Death Duty before the Grade 1 at Naas last year (one Next Destination won last week) where he cantered all over Death Duty and he said he was absolutely certain Labaik would win if he jumped off. Remember now Death Duty went off odds on for this race. Alas Labaik dug his toes in that day but he proved Keith and Gringo to be spot on at Cheltenham. Gas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Twas Gringo who put him up. Said there was a novice at Elliott's that used to destroy Death Duty at home. Funnily enough, I heard Keith Donoghue say a few months back that he rode Labaik in a piece of work against Death Duty before the Grade 1 at Naas last year (one Next Destination won last week) where he cantered all over Death Duty and he said he was absolutely certain Labaik would win if he jumped off. Remember now Death Duty went off odds on for this race. Alas Labaik dug his toes in that day but he proved Keith and Gringo to be spot on at Cheltenham. Gas!

Sorry it wasn't the Grade 1 at Naas, it was actually the Grade 2 at Navan that Death Duty won. Invitation Only went off even money fav for that race which is interesting looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Was Gringo. I asked him to marry me at 1.40PM on 14/03/2017 :pac:

It's not a day one fancy but I was very taken with we have a dreams run in chepstown. He looked like he hated the ground but won it stylishly against a pretty good benchmark in Sussex Ranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

And we'll never hear the end of !!

Faugheen out to 8/1 on boyles for CH
    Yorkhill into 8/1 for same race

Does someone know something.............

(personally, if he runs, 8/1 for me on the machine is a HUGE price)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Had my biggest ever bet on the Machine NRNB EW this morning. I think he could bounce back. If he improves as much again since His last run he should be there or there abouts. BD did not look too impressive at the weekend.

I have Getabird done since before his Christmas run for supreme. 16/1 EW and 16//1 win. I personally think he is the best novice hurdler in Ireland at the minute. Samcro is good but looks better at the longer trip. Ellitott could have a serious chaser on his handa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Faugheen out to 8/1 on boyles for CH
    Yorkhill into 8/1 for same race

Does someone know something.............

(personally, if he runs, 8/1 for me on the machine is a HUGE price)

Boyles are not NRNB, wouldn't touch it, the 7/1 NRNB is a mare more secure bet.

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    Boyles are not NRNB, wouldn't touch it, the 7/1 NRNB is a mare more secure bet.

Where is he 7/1 nrnb?
    I dont do online, i do all my bets in shop and only in shop

Surely the CH is the only race he runs in, presuming of course he runs. Nothing anyone has said indicates he wont run tho

The closer we get to the week itself the more bullish i am that the machine will shock em all!! :D

Advertisement