Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling dart really bad?

Options
  • 09-01-2018 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Ok, I know it's hard to ask for advice about your throw on a forum but how and ever.

I recently got back into darts big time after about 5 years of not playing at all. It was all going smoothly but I've hit a rough patch.

Every say, 1 in 10 darts I will pull badly, so badly that the dart can sometimes land 2 feet under the board. I know it's either something to do with my grip or I'm holding onto the dart way too long (not getting the release trajectory correct.)

It's extremely frustrating and can make me start to hate the game and give up. I've tried a few different things to try and help:

Changed grip but none feel natural to me, I've taken a break from throwing, I've thrown in the dark, lefthanded, pieces of rolled up paper at the board.

Beer does help but I'm off it for a year so that's not an option for me :(

One thing that could be putting me off is my dart board is in the attic and there's only a few inches above the board before it hits the ceiling. Maybe this is subconsciously putting me off.

Any help at all would be great. TIA

Here's my grip.
    AU-niCCgi6dVG6m2TqK8yBaf2BviZj3pjyJYEWX0ZeQ?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Ok, I know it's hard to ask for advice about your throw on a forum but how and ever.

I recently got back into darts big time after about 5 years of not playing at all. It was all going smoothly but I've hit a rough patch.

Every say, 1 in 10 darts I will pull badly, so badly that the dart can sometimes land 2 feet under the board. I know it's either something to do with my grip or I'm holding onto the dart way too long (not getting the release trajectory correct.)

It's extremely frustrating and can make me start to hate the game and give up. I've tried a few different things to try and help:

Changed grip but none feel natural to me, I've taken a break from throwing, I've thrown in the dark, lefthanded, pieces of rolled up paper at the board.

Beer does help but I'm off it for a year so that's not an option for me :(

One thing that could be putting me off is my dart board is in the attic and there's only a few inches above the board before it hits the ceiling. Maybe this is subconsciously putting me off.

Any help at all would be great. TIA

Here's my grip.
    AU-niCCgi6dVG6m2TqK8yBaf2BviZj3pjyJYEWX0ZeQ?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

I'm not the wisest hoor around but I'd say.....dont change your throw...find darts that suit your throwing action...and the low ceiling is a bollox.

Mix up weight of darts stems flights length of barrell flights yada yada yada..
    Very hard to change your natural throw very easy to change the equipment to suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

I'm not the wisest hoor around but I'd say.....dont change your throw...find darts that suit your throwing action...and the low ceiling is a bollox.

Mix up weight of darts stems flights length of barrell flights yada yada yada..
    Very hard to change your natural throw very easy to change the equipment to suit.

Low ceiling is bollox cos it fcuks your throw up....subconscious trying to not hit it...it might actually be tj e biggest problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I think that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

I've loads of sets of darts so I've experimented with all sorts. Using the peter wright pl15s at the moment.

Beginning to think it's the low ceiling putting me off too. As a person who is a bit of a lobber of the dart it affects me going for the top part of the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

You need good clearance above the board or it will play on your mind. Shoot a few darts at D20 and if you feel any uncertainty in your mind before, during or after release, then there is the problem.

Do you pull darts as often when practicing T19/D16 etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

How are you sighting the dart? I had the same problem for a while. What I found helped was to sight the dart a few inches further out from your eye and then use a slower backswing. This gives your arm 'more room' to get a full extension on the relaese and keeps the dart straight.

Also, keep your arm in motion. Don't pause at the end of the backswing as this might cause the muscles to tighten up. If your arm is hanging in the air, even for a second, it will begin to tense up and this tension will knock your dart off line on relaese.

Let us know how you get on. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,130 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Low ceiling is bollox cos it fcuks your throw up....subconscious trying to not hit it...it might actually be tj e biggest problem

I got into darts just after Christmas there and have the board in the hall on the wall beside the kitchen door (seemingly I'm some form of wizard getting the misses to agree?)

My Dad mentioned it to me that I might be conscious about hitting the door (which is glass) as so many of my throws go left (door is on the right)

Not exactly sure how I go about dealing with that apart from "Trust you wont hit the door" :D

Advertisement