Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

could you get away with buying everything online?

• 09-01-2018 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I wondered if anyone on here has got to the stage (or near to it) that they buy everything online even food as well as the normal items of stuff you buy on ebay and amazon etc..

Would there ever be a day do you reckon where you would never have to leave your home and shop at a bricks and mortar premises ever again and can get everything online and delivered to your door? ... and do you think that time is any time soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

I wondered if anyone on here has got to the stage (or near to it) that they buy everything online even food as well as the normal items of stuff you buy on ebay and amazon etc..

Would there ever be a day do you reckon where you would never have to leave your home and shop at a bricks and mortar premises ever again and can get everything online and delivered to your door? ... and do you think that time is any time soon?

It may happen in the future but I don't think it will happen here anytime in the near future. Pretty sure we do less than 15% of our grocery shopping online as a nation. The social aspect of shopping especially for the elderly will always mean that they would rather go to the shop and buy groceries there rather than online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It may happen in the future but I don't think it will happen here anytime in the near future. Pretty sure we do less than 15% of our grocery shopping online as a nation. The social aspect of shopping especially for the elderly will always mean that they would rather go to the shop and buy groceries there rather than online.

ah yes of course, i wasnt accounting for the older generation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Louie Hollow Grime

I don't think 'social' shopping is particularly for the elderly. It's younger people who seem to enjoy the craic browsing and trying on clothes with their friends.
    Personally I'd never consider shopping a social event, I hate shopping but prefer in store to online as I can see, feel, try on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

aspect i like about shopping in a proper shop is picking something physically up and not just seeing a stock picture of it online, maybe reading the label on the back, picking one off the shelf that hasnt been damaged.

I suppose you can get Items online and if you dont like , you can return them back but then there is waiting for the item to arrive, then more than likely if you wanted to return maybe there a quibble or restocking charge and of course i should imagine buyer has to pay return postage for the items.

havent tried food shopping online yet .. i see the tesco home delivery truck up our way quite regularly though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,013 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I buy very little online

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Drinks, eating out, cigarettes, all the finer things in life must be bought in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I like to look and sniff at any fresh food I buy. Can't be don't online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Already has happened.
    Plenty of shut-ins around the world. Make their living online, pay their bills online and everything in between. Not much of a life but hey the way it goes for some.

Advertisement