Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quit job for a dream opportunity?

Options
  • 09-01-2018 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine runs a guest house on a paradise tropical island somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

He has asked me to look after the place during the summer while he heads home to visit family.

I will have to leave my job though as my position will need to be filled as soon as I leave. We have a lot of projects happening around that time and they can't wait for me. Even if they did hold the job for me I'm not sure if I'd take it. I'm there 5 years now and need to do something different.

What would you do?

Once in a lifetime opportunity here.

I'm in my 30s, no house and no debts. Decent savings to keep me going when (or if!) I get back.

One idea I have is to walk straight into a diploma on my return in September. Exact diploma is TBC. Will think about it while away.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

:)
    If I was single with no commitments, no other plans (e.g. promotion at work, studies) and could bank on getting another similar job if/when I returned then I'd do it, why not!

Edited to add: I quit a job to go travelling just at the start of the recession, when I came back I was unemployed and then freelancing in bits and pieces for about 2 years in total. I've never regretted that time and would do it again in an instant if I could afford to. It totally revitalises your view of things and gives you time to just 'think'. More than any 2 week holiday ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd ask at work first if there's any chance of a 6 month sabbatical, so they'd get someone in to cover for 6 months (like if you were on maternity leave). They might say no, but it's definitely worth a try. If they say yes you get the best of both worlds - summer minding the guest house, then a few months to lounge around/travel, then back to a secure job.

I'm naturally very risk averse, so I'd find it difficult to quit completely for such a short term opportunity, but that's just me. Other people would leap at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm in my 30s, no house and no debts.

So what's holding you back? You're sick of your job, have no dependents and a unique opportunity has fallen into your lap.

Even if you end up actually hating running a guest house, it's a short term thing and a great experience to have under your belt.

I think you'd be foolish to turn it down tbh, I see nothing holding you back but irrational fear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

Go and do it.

5 years is enough time in 1 place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Just going through my old posts trying to find some restaurant thread and found this. I might as well give an update.

I ended up quitting my job and got a flight to Zanzibar. And then got a bus to a coastal village on the other side of the island where my mate has the hostel.

Got the keys to the place and my mate flew off home. Ran it for two months babysitting tourists. I'm 33 so not ancient but maybe slightly too old to hang out and party with the backpackers 24/7, but there were plenty of 'old timers' on the island. Basically European folk who run hotels, bars, lodges and kite surfing businesses along the east coast of the island. Took me under their wing and I became part of the crew. Had a great time, made many friends, almost invested cash into the place. I regret not doing that but my father talked me out of it. (there's a tonne of cash to be made from europeans). Yes I still take advice from my dad at my age. Maybe he was right, who knows. Will have to wait and see how the business fares.

After my two months there I took a flight to the mainland and stayed there for another month, same deal except now I was the tourist. Got a chance to 'go on holidays' finally and go mad without worrying if the toilets were cleaned and taxis were booked. Mingle with the locals. Local pubs, clubs, pints, local tinder even.

Anyway it's been a year since I asked the original question. I got feckall replies but those of you who egged me on did play a part in this. I asked friends, family, reddit, boards etc. and made my choice. I'm now back home, I've gone through the higher diploma and am starting a job in a few days in the area I studied with decent pay. (better than when I left).

Boards thread gone full circle, I like when that happens ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Fair play . Congratulations on the new job and on you once in a lifetime ( for some) experience

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Delighted to read that you went! Your life will be so much better for having had that experience :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

In life, you don't regret the things you do, but the things you didn't. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Awesome OP, fair play! Glad it worked out for you. And there'll be no what-ifs when your sitting in front of the fireplace in 30 years time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Awesome OP, fair play! Glad it worked out for you. And there'll be no what-ifs when your sitting in front of the fireplace in 30 years time.

what if the massive planned carbon taxes for ordinary people come in, where will that leave your fireplace ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Nobelium wrote: »
    what if the massive planned carbon taxes for ordinary people come in, where will that leave your fireplace ?

Digital fireplace

Advertisement