Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front squat help

Options
  • 08-01-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭

Started doing a routine which includes the front squat.

I've never really been able to do it, but lads I know at the gym race about them. However, I really struggle to do them.

I am unable to hold the bar in position regardless of what to I use. The standard grip hurts my wrists even at light weights (40kg). Kossack grip hurts my shoulders and the bar continuously slides down my upper arms. Also the pain/effort in holding the bar in position far exceeds any effort required in the legs - so it is a worthless exercise for me.

Any useful help and tips for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If it's sliding down your arms on the cross-arm grip, it's because you're probably not keeping your arms high enough. Also, it's not going to be particularly comfortable on your shoulders so that's something you just have to suck up.

You can use straps like Mike T as well:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbQAVljl2UU/

Bit of a primer here as well:

http://www.stack.com/a/a-guide-to-different-front-squat-grips

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Started doing a routine which includes the front squat.

I've never really been able to do it, but lads I know at the gym race about them. However, I really struggle to do them.

I am unable to hold the bar in position regardless of what to I use. The standard grip hurts my wrists even at light weights (40kg). Kossack grip hurts my shoulders and the bar continuously slides down my upper arms. Also the pain/effort in holding the bar in position far exceeds any effort required in the legs - so it is a worthless exercise for me.

Any useful help and tips for me?

Thanks.

Try it with only your first 2 fingers under the bar each side. Elbows up high.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The standard grip hurts my wrists even at light weights (40kg).

Also, just on this. You need to stretch your lats and triceps more and work on your front rack mobility. Not just for the front squat but it will help for other lifts that you increase mobility there.

Also, are you trying to fully grip the bar in the front rack position? If you are, you shouldn't be. It should be a little more like this (though I would argue he's trying to 'grip' the bar too much with those fingers - they're really only to hold the bar in place)

Rack-Position-Fingers-Off-Bar.JPG?ts=1427402831

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks - yes it feels like a tightness problem in I can't keep may arms straight out to prevent the bar from rolling down onto the upper part of the bicep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Thanks - yes it feels like a tightness problem in I can't keep may arms straight out to prevent the bar from rolling down onto the upper part of the bicep.

Also, in the above photo make sure your arms are always parallel to the floor. A lot people start with parallel arms but as they're descending to the deep squat position they're elbows point towards the floor. Keep the parallel at all times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement