Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specific White Reflector Jacket

Options
  • 08-01-2018 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to order a jacket that when car lights hit it is completely white and otherwise is a kind of gray colour.

I don't know the brand - and that's what I'm looking for help with. Which brand are those jackets? And if multiple which would be the best.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Tow

The technical term is 'retroreflectivate'

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Every day's a school day:)

• Advertisement

Came across a lad out running in one of them the other night , something I've added to the to get list. Very impressed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i always have wondered if they were a bit too much as ive never come across someone wearing one

was actually just looking at this one

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPX365ILMMAXJ/planet-x-365-illuminati-maximus-jacket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i always have wondered if they were a bit too much as ive never come across someone wearing one

I don't cycle and haven't for years. But i did see a cyclist the other night with one of those tops, and to be honest it really stood out. It was very effective in getting my attention while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Dunne’s have them as well. I find it gets too hot and sweaty so generally stick with my other gore tex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I've been using the proviz 360 jacket for the past year. Its a bit sweaty but good for winter commuting.

The reflective coating comes off quite easily, especially if you're wearing a backpack. It still retains its visibility however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I came across a runner on a back country road wearing one the other evening and the jacket certainly gets them noticed however the glare can be quite blinding when your closer but I guess that is the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Love the technology but the styling and breathability leave a lot to be desired.

Umm, do Castelli do this type of jacket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Having read the reviews re breathability etc. I got the Reflect 360+ gilet at Christmas. Great piece of kit. It may be a coincidence but I've been getting extraordinary space on the road since. Like everyone else, I got it after seeing it on the road one morning in a low sun. Really stood out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Having read the reviews re breathability etc. I got the Reflect 360+ gilet at Christmas. Great piece of kit. It may be a coincidence but I've been getting extraordinary space on the road since. Like everyone else, I got it after seeing it on the road one morning in a low sun. Really stood out

Have this for the past 12 months, great piece of kit and whilst not the most breathable it does what it's suppose to in terms of making you visible on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

c72bd905b7a5c12f90026a3184498662--nrj-music-pet-shop-boys.jpg

This one comes with the added benefit of a free helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Love the technology but the styling and breathability leave a lot to be desired.

Umm, do Castelli do this type of jacket ?

Yes, the mortirolo reflex has shoulders, sleeves and sides in this material, great jacket but very warm so only of use when very cold out:

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/castelli-mortirolo-reflex/136153027/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=3619323&country=ie&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn6Skn9_K2AIVEDwbCh24TwTYEAQYAyABEgKNmvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

The first time I saw one of these in a dark country lane it scared the sh*it out of me. Thought it was a ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Thought I should report back after buying the planet x jacket ( Planet X 365 Illuminati Maximus Jacket Large ) and using it a few times over the last few weeks. Here are some thoughts in no particular order.

• Very good reflection, if you use a Fenix torch against it and put your eye near the torch its rather blinding, as one reviewer in the UK said - even an Audi driver would see you.
    • There's a bit of "plastic" feel of the jacket, but tbh for me this isn't a big issue as a always sweat up after cycling, and in the cold days and nights recently the complete wind blocking effect of it is very welcome.
    • If you are using it, I would recommend long sleeved under garment as much more comfortable than having the jacket against your arms
    • There are two large "speeds-holes" in the side which when open do a good job with ventilation

Other than that not much to say, from the construction, it seems solid and I hope that I will give a few years of good service. We'll see - others have mentioned the reflective material flacking off although I think this was a different jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

py wrote: »

Have this for the past 12 months, great piece of kit and whilst not the most breathable it does what it's suppose to in terms of making you visible on the roads.
    Second that have the gilet super reflective but no way breathable great for commuting but if you get a puncture or stop for a chat you will freeze as it is really boil in the bag. I find if I wear less layers and push hard it works best. Nothing like it for visibility though.

Advertisement