Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco have released a lot of vegan ready meals.

Options
  • 08-01-2018 4:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

See here: http://wickedhealthyfood.com/2018/01/07/mighty-plant-flavours-unleashed-wicked-top-secret-u-k-project-revealed/

A full list and some have already been spotted in Dublin:

Full Range:
    Sandwiches & Wraps

Spicy Frijoles Wrap
    Carrot Pastrami-Spiced Wrap
    Smashin’ Pumpkin Falafel Sandwich
    Hoi Sin Mushroom Wrap
    Sweet Potato Pakora Wrap
    Fiery Tofu & Slaw Sandwich

Ready Meals
    Muay Thai Curry
    BBQ Butternut Mac
    Wicked Teriyaki Noodles
    Naked Burrito
    Gunpowder Potato Chana Masala
    Veggie Pasta and Amazeballs
    Nana’s Mushroom Bolognese
    BBQ Beans and Mash
    Curried Cauli Onion Bhaji & Coconut Rice

Salads

Rainbow Curry Bowl
    Kung Fu Bowl
    Moroccan-Inspired Bowl

Pizzas
    Caponata Sourdough Pizza
    BBQ Mushroom Sourdough Pizza

They sound great, I think they are 4 or 5 euro but whatever, I'll give them a go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I got the BBQ mushroom pizza in Tesco swords today. Only 2 on the shelf and I brought both, almost fainted at the till when they scanned at €5 each though!

Couldn't see anything else from the range but it's not the best tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

They've started getting them in in Tesco Ballincollig in Cork, I spotted one of the pizzas and two ready meals today, with out of stock labels on about 3 others. I'd say they're flying of the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'm afraid since being diagnosed coeliac I don't get too excited at these announcements anymore. Probably best avoided anyway!

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I'm afraid since being diagnosed coeliac I don't get too excited at these announcements anymore. Probably best avoided anyway!

I understand vegans missing out on some convenience foods, every now and again, but I think this direction is a real shame.

Becoming a vegan gave me a new opportunity to understand food again and broaden the variety of foods I eat.

I cook almost daily and I know exactly what is in my food. I find that most times I try any convenience food that I’m left feeling unwell.

We all chose to be vegan for different reasons so I suppose the availability of convenience food is great for helping a new generation to make the change but I feel they would be missing out on so so much nutritious and tasty food. Also, and maybe the most important part, knowledge.

Edit - the convenience foods also feed the argument it’s very expensive to go vegan. Well if you’re going down the route of replacing all your meat and dairy based foods with vegan alternatives - cheese, quorn, butter, mayonnaise, ready meals and so on - then it is very expensive.

Whereas I eat the most nutritious that I’ve ever eaten and for a fraction of the cost. Being vegan is very very inexpensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I assume this will be like every other vegetarian/vegan ready-meal line they've introduced, i.e., discontinued after a few months. At those prices, maybe sooner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We'll have to see, it took them two years to develop this line so they put a lot of work in and they are pretty much selling out everywhere from the reports.

We had some pizzas last night and they were amazing. We always get the Irish tax, they are 50 cent dearer her than in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I've just had the Veggie Pasta and Amazeballs for lunch and it was really delicious, I'm actually very surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I got mine in the Drogheda 24 hour store (€5); they only had this, the Muay Thai Curry and Nana’s Mushroom Bolognese along with the BBQ Mushroom Sourdough Pizza so I hope they plan on expanding their selection soon.

I have the Muay Thai Curry in the fridge to try tomorrow - I will report back!

I have no plans to eat these a lot but they are handy to grab when I haven't had time to make my own lunch so I'm really delighted to see this range and I hope it's here to stay...although a slight reduction in price would be welcomed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

We'll have to see, it took them two years to develop this line so they put a lot of work in and they are pretty much selling out everywhere from the reports.

We had some pizzas last night and they were amazing. We always get the Irish tax, they are 50 cent dearer her than in the UK.

I had the mushroom bolognaise last night and it was lovely! Tasted very fresh. I went to a second tesco on my way home last night and almost everything was out of stock there, they seem to be quite popular. Haven't spotted the wraps or salads yet, but looking forward to giving them a try too.

Which pizza did you try?
    I'm not a fan of BBQ sauce so the mushroom one wouldn't appeal to me - however the other one could be good although I have no idea what a Caponata pizza is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for the reviews guys, I'm about to have the mushroom bolognaise for lunch myself so hopefully like it as much. Ingredients look great.

As for the pizza I had the BBQ one, I don't know if the sauce tasted like BBQ sauce really but I do like BBQ sauce so not a good person to judge. It had jalapenos for a bit of a kick and a tasty puree made of god knows what, some sort of veg and something sweet I'd say.

Caponata pizza has aubergine, capers and salsa verde, not had a pizza like it before so no idea what it will be like. I have to say the bases were so good, kinda like focaccia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I'm married to a vegan and with busy lives we sometimes want a quick meal.

For me it's easy - huge choice.

For her, not easy. Veg curry, Indian snack selection, the odd pasta dish.

So saw the nana's mushroom bolognese today - bought it and we had it.

Very good portion for one person - enough for two if combined with something else (we had garlic bread and salad)

As a meat eater, I liked it a lot. She loved it - very much in terms of ready meal love. But a very welcome range.

I tried the Muay Thai Curry yesterday and it was excellent. A nice spicy kick.

I went back to Tesco Drogheda last night and they had both the pizzas plus a few more of the ready meals but most were sold out. I did get to grab a Naked Burrito though and have it in the fridge for tomorrow when I'm likely to be hungover :P

I don't normally eat many ready meals but this will be my 3rd this week- I got a bit over excited by the new range!

I was going to get a pizza but then had a word with myself - I make a lovely vegan pizza at home myself and paying €5 for one just because it's new is silly.

I don't think it's silly :D

I had the mushroom bolagnaise which was quite nice, needed more flavour, I think all the other things will be even better so am hyped to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Cheers for the heads-up, Tar.Aldarion.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jim Ellis

I tried the BBQ mushroom pizza today (last one left in Tesco Blanchardstown) it's a bit expensive given the size but I was shocked how good it tasted. Like something from a restaurant. Can't wait to try the other pizza.

I tried the Bolognese yesterday and really enjoyed it.

The Naked Burrito is very good too, lovely just on a plate but you could put into a wrap with some vegan cheese and it would be gorgeous, you'd probably get 2 out of it as it is a large portion and very filling.

I had the Naked Burrito in a gluten free sweet potato wrap today, two of them in fact and there's enough for a small third tomorrow. Really nice... might add sliced quorn fillets next time.
    I have the Gunpowder Potato Chana Masala to try tomorrow... looking forward to it! At €5 they're not a bargain but they are fresh and "clean". A nice find, Thanks Tar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Where in Tesco are you guys finding these? I can't see any in my local Tesco so don't know if I'm just not seeing them or they haven't stocked them yet.

Where in Tesco are you guys finding these? I can't see any in my local Tesco so don't know if I'm just not seeing them or they haven't stocked them yet.

near the usual chilled Quorn products and free from meals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

Tesco have 2 for €9 on this range at the moment. Not a great saving but good if you want to try a few things. Tempted by the pizza but haven’t bought yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Funny I was just about to make a thread asking for ready meal recommendations. Been going to bed hungry everyday as I don't have time to cook so these will really come in handy!

Tesco have 2 for €9 on this range at the moment. Not a great saving but good if you want to try a few things. Tempted by the pizza but haven’t bought yet!

I tried the Caponata pizza and it was really nice. The sourdough base is very gorgeous.
    I prefer a bit of heat to my pizzas so next time will add a few jalapenos :)

There's some jalapenos on the bbq mushroom pizza! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jim Ellis

They are out of stock a lot of the time. Must be selling well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 TurnItOn AndOffAgain

I'm not so much into ready-meals, but the frozen pizza seems interesting ! I'll need to give it a go next time, thanks for the info :)

I'm not so much into ready-meals, but the frozen pizza seems interesting ! I'll need to give it a go next time, thanks for the info :)

It's better than frozen, just refrigerated so it's "fresh"! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Old El Paso kits are 2 for €6 in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 TurnItOn AndOffAgain

It's better than frozen, just refrigerated so it's "fresh"! :)

Actually my bad, I wanted to say ready-made in general ^^
    But it can come handy in lazy days. Probably better than when I do a week of instant noodles XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not a vegan but slowly turning that way......had the nana's bolognese for lunch today. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous and very filling. Will get this again without a doubt. Have the mushroom pizza and caponata pizza in the freezer. Look forward to trying them.

Advertisement