Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on leaving a job

Options
  • 08-01-2018 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some opinions on leaving a job - I'm sure this has been done numerous times on this forum but would appreciate opinions on my particular circumstances.

I have been in my current role 2 years, without being too specific, I work in IT. Until recently (2 weeks ago) I was probably earning just under (-5k) market value for my position. I raised this with my employer some 4 months ago. I was told the process was quiet drawn out - after 3 months of radio silence, I was given a 5k payrise and to be fair, it was back dated 3 months - although the backdating was actually tied more into a company wide change of policy rather than my personal request.

It was in this 3 months of silence that I began looking for a new role - I found one that I felt I would be happy in, the same week I got the payrise :rolleyes: (about 2 weeks ago). I am due to formally accept the offer of employment this week and hand in my notice.

I'm in a bit of a morale dilemma because of a few things:
    - The recent payrise/backdate of pay.
    - The team has had some turn around in numbers since I joined, 2 people left and one person got a promotion. It took the guys of 6 months to hire 2 replacements, the new guys are good, but are only here 3 months - I dont want to leave the team stuck.
    - Although I haven't been officially told, I have been approached by a certain project manager who has asked that I am assigned a fairly major project.
    - In my opinion, for my whole time here, we have been understaffed, I don't feel great about making that worse.
    - This is going to be a very busy year for the team.

To counter the above, I do feel its certainly over my head for the team resourcing - its been bad since I got here and management have done very little/have been very slow to resource the team in line with the current work load, never mind what will be a busy year.

Appreciate all opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

My 2c ...Forget about feeling bad, simply not your problem you are not paid for that. They will survive its a business people come and go.
    The under resourcing you mention sounds endemic and will most likely not change therefore will be an ongoing issue for you.

Other than that its up to you really regarding the upcoming project is it interesting enough to keep you. My opinion is change is good, two years is the min I would say to get before even thinking of moving. I dont work in the same industry but for me you you have to make moves to progress.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Doop wrote: »
    My 2c ...Forget about feeling bad, simply not your problem you are not paid for that. They will survive its a business people come and go.
    The under resourcing you mention sounds endemic and will most likely not change therefore will be an ongoing issue for you.

Other than that its up to you really regarding the upcoming project is it interesting enough to keep you. My opinion is change is good, two years is the min I would say to get before even thinking of moving. I dont work in the same industry but for me you you have to make moves to progress.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. The under resourcing is indeed endemic and you have to be blind not to see the results of it - bloated project deadlines, follow through on best practices not being met and a general get it done as quick as possible attitude, I know this happens everywhere, but I generally feel its fairly bad here at the moment. I suspect my direct report gets paid to manage the environment as best as possible.

The project is interesting enough - but due to the a number of issues its going to a harder slog then it should be. I will definitely consider what I get from being involved in the project as I haven't really looked at it that way, more I don't want to leave them stuck.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭caviardreams

BGozIE wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, much appreciated. The under resourcing is indeed endemic and you have to be blind not to see the results of it - bloated project deadlines, follow through on best practices not being met and a general get it done as quick as possible attitude, I know this happens everywhere, but I generally feel its fairly bad here at the moment. I suspect my direct report gets paid to manage the environment as best as possible.

The project is interesting enough - but due to the a number of issues its going to a harder slog then it should be. I will definitely consider what I get from being involved in the project as I haven't really looked at it that way, more I don't want to leave them stuck.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I know it can be hard, but do not let this sway you. They would probably be more than happy to "leave you stuck", and given their understaffing it seems they so exactly this to an extent. Make the best decision for you in terms of opportunities and your career and don't feel guilty or think that you owe them anything outside of what you are paid for, which you seem to have clearly delivered on to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Doop wrote: »

+ 1.
    Don't feel bad for leaving them stuck, op. They wouldn't feel bad if they had to make cuts and you were one of them. That's business, that's life.

Do whats best for you. Everyone does.

Advertisement