Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdmi over cat 5/6?

Options
  • 08-01-2018 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

(If wrong forum, please move.)

Trying to figure out best way of wiring for TV in new house build. Will be installing Sat dish & terrestrial aerial myself, simple job.

From dish to TV points I've 2 options: run 2 coax & cat 6 (can)to each point with stb at the TV, or run 2 or 3 cat 6 (1xlan, 1 or 2 hdmi over cat 6) to TV points, and stbs in the attic (which I'll have full stairs access to, plant room).

I bought one of these https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/eBayISAPI.dll/282037897636?_mwBanner=1 to test out but for some reason it doesn't work with my 2 TV/stb combination, was wondering if anyone had successfully used a different one, or could recommend one. Need backchannel for ir to control stb

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Any reason it didn't work? Just faulty?

For wiring, you could just go for 2 coax and 3 cat 6 for maximum flexibility. And don't forget a separate cat 6 to the ceiling if you can for another wifi access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're not the kind of device that comes with a resounding recommendation, it was fine for VGA as a big of analogue noise could be ignored but with HDMI any slight issue and it just stops as its digital.

Have you tried it with like a 5m run?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sorry, should have been more specific. Tvs always say resolution not supported, even when I change the output resolution of the stb to e.g.720 or as low as they can output. And yeah only testing with a short patch lead of a few metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you getting sky ? Do the sky Q mini boxes actually need a cable? I thought that they were wireless to the main box.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sky boxes have hdcp , digital content control protection. Meaning non split of the hdmi signal.

Items used with sky boxes have to be hdcp compliant

• Advertisement

No sky. Fta only. Same issue with laptop, Android iptv box too, so not hdcp

I would then say your termination is probably bad, (if you terminated the cables yourself)

Or the Cat you have might be damaged.

Finally the balast box/s could be just broken.

But i would be on the side of termination make sure the wiring follows the supplied documentation with the boxes.

listermint wrote: »
    I would then say your termination is probably bad, (if you terminated the cables yourself)

Or the Cat you have might be damaged.

Finally the balast box/s could be just broken.

But i would be on the side of termination make sure the wiring follows the supplied documentation with the boxes.

I used a factory made (i.e. moulded plugs) cable which works fine in normal networking environment.

I've emailed the ebay seller to see what they say, also ordered a similar but different unit from amazon which has loads of good reviews and a new cat6 cable to go with it, to see if that helps. Ultimate goal would be to route 2xcoax and 2xcat6 to each tv point for future proofing, but i just want to be sure that it's viable first.

kenmc wrote: »
    I used a factory made (i.e. moulded plugs) cable which works fine in normal networking environment.

I've emailed the ebay seller to see what they say, also ordered a similar but different unit from amazon which has loads of good reviews and a new cat6 cable to go with it, to see if that helps. Ultimate goal would be to route 2xcoax and 2xcat6 to each tv point for future proofing, but i just want to be sure that it's viable first.

Does it match the wiring map for the terminals ? not sure if theyre crossover (doubt it) but worth reviewing

Was straight through, not crossover. Will try another one when I get a chance, think I tried 2 though. No wiring map provided, would expect them to be straight though, and the "link" light is on

• Advertisement

Confirmed the original eBay unit is faulty, new setup from Amazon works perfectly, it being the only change, leaving cables etc as is. Ebay one going back for refund

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Got a link to the amazon one? Looking to do the same here myself (send Sky Q feed to another room)

mloc123 wrote: »
    Got a link to the amazon one? Looking to do the same here myself (send Sky Q feed to another room)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4AGCUH/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item?th=1

I just ran it over a 3m cable for testing, picture quality is excellent.

don't have a longer cable yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Would this work over homeplugs?

abarkie wrote: »
    Would this work over homeplugs?
    I doubt it as it's not a normal networking protocol; these things need a dedicated point to point cat 5/6 cable with one of these boxes at each end of it.

Even if it did, i think it would only work for one source-sink and then you couldn't use them for normal networking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not a hope that homeplugs would work.

If you don't have ethernet, might be better to look at streaming solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4AGCUH/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item?th=1

I just ran it over a 3m cable for testing, picture quality is excellent.

Would you know if you can split the HDMI from a Virgin Media box using an unpowered hdmi splitter like this?
    Anything they restrict like Im hearing sky do?
    I am considering using that HDMI over ethernet setup you linked to. ta.

“Roll it back”

Split as in 1 box to 2 tvs? I'd say this should have no bearing on the splitter, if the splitter works with the virgin box I'd be surprised if it didn't work with this

That said, any splitter I've used has been active rather than passive: you may encounter hdcp issues

any splitter I've used has been active rather than passive: you may encounter hdcp issues

Yeah - that's the term I was looking for - I'm all for passive stuff when possible - the less power bricks I have plugged in I think the better.
    I'll try get one from somewhere anyway and I'll report back if it works.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

I bought a HDMI modulator just before xmas to distribute the signal from my nano 3t around the house. Excellent bit of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

manutd wrote: »

I dont know - but I was looking at this one - maybe better? - it requires only the one network cable (the above one requires two) and it has a loopback splitter built in - meaning you can have one source and a tv at either end.

http://amzn.to/2DokOhd
    36 pounds .

a very similar one is here - it was on sale for 20 pounds but went out of stock before I could buy it
    http://amzn.to/2mSSYQ2

Both are powered though - but they do also route the remote control.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Redriddick wrote: »
    I bought a HDMI modulator just before xmas to distribute the signal from my nano 3t around the house. Excellent bit of kit.

Was thinking that would be a better solution tbh, HDMI over cat is expensive and wasteful as well IMHO. While HDMI over cat will get you a better display, in general are you not pushing this to secondary TV's , where for me, I wouldn't be looking for as high spec viewing anyway.

Are these HDMI over cat converters 4k capable etc and would you end up having to upgrade them later ?

My thinking would be HDMI modulator, as it is a broadcast solution, meaning no additional hardware at the recreivjng tv's. And over time, everything is going to move to streaming solutions anyway, so HDMI over cat is an expensive stop gap ?

For me the goal is one set top box in the attic(walk in, stairs to attic) per TV point in the house (initially 2, but wiring for 6 rooms most likely since its a new house. Different channel being watched on each TV, so not just trying to watch same thing at different locations in the house. The hdmi modulator seems pricy relative to the hdmi extenders. And you can get 4k extenders if desired

Advertisement