Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power for outdoor lighting

Options
  • 07-01-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I am about to knock of the back wall of my house to put in more glass and I would like to do any setup needed now to have power for outdoor lights (exterior lights on the house and lights in the garden). What do I need to ask the electrician to do?

My house is a wooden frame house, so I should avoid drilling holes all the way through the wall as there is no way to reseal the membranes in the middle. When knocking out the back wall the builder has access to seal membranes. This is why I want to put in place any work needed later to have power outside for lights. I might not have the money to put the lights in now.

At a high level, I obviously need a wire coming from inside the house going to the outside with a switch inside the house. Possible two wires\switches - one for exterior house lights and one for garden lights. When the wires are outside the house, how does the electrician\builder leave them so they can be used later - is it as simple as adding some kind of waterproof blanking plate?

The wall that I am knocking out is in my kitchen - could the electrician use existing circuits in the kitchen to bring power out? Or would he have to go from the fuse board? This is a house built just last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He could take supply from existing lighting circuit or a fused spur.

To be done right a cable from the board would be ideal.

If it's sensor lights you want I would suggest getting separate pir sensors and a separate light fitting.

Led lights are where to go.

You could run a conduit so a cable would easily go through or get the builder to run it while wall is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

He could take supply from existing lighting circuit or a fused spur.

To be done right a cable from the board would be ideal.

If it's sensor lights you want I would suggest getting separate pir sensors and a separate light fitting.

Led lights are where to go.

You could run a conduit so a cable would easily go through or get the builder to run it while wall is down.

Thanks! I already have a PIR sensor light and the electrician had to drill a hole through the house to get power out. So this is what I want to avoid. What I am thinking of is ground lights around the perimeter of the house that shine up on the house. And later to add lights in the garden.

If the builder puts conduit in place and electrician runs the wire through, then what would be the best way to leave this on the outside of the house until I am actually going to use it (which could be another year away)?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks! I already have a PIR sensor light and the electrician had to drill a hole through the house to get power out. So this is what I want to avoid. What I am thinking of is ground lights around the perimeter of the house that shine up on the house. And later to add lights in the garden.

If the builder puts conduit in place and electrician runs the wire through, then what would be the best way to leave this on the outside of the house until I am actually going to use it (which could be another year away)?

Have the conduit brought out to where you need it and place a junction box.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Just to add on to this. If I want to be able to control remotely, or on a programmable timer, what time the outdoor lights come on at what options do I have?

I currently have HIVE home automation where I can control when the interior lights in the house come on. HIVE also have a programmable plug. Ideally I would like to use this plug to control when the exterior lights come on. Would this be possible?

Here is the HIVE plug\socket https://www.hivehome.com/products/hive-active-plug . I would need the wire going to the outdoor lights to be on a plug, then the plug would go into the HIVE plug, and the HIVE plug would go into a socket on the wall. I would be looking to power about 10 LED uplights.

Advertisement