Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav's and where to stick em!

Options
  • 07-01-2018 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭

I dont personally use a sat nav in the car but I found it quite interesting that in the UK there is rules about where to place a Sat Nav in your vehicle.

Greater Manchester Police fluffed up on a tweet saying the only legal place to put a Sat Nav is bottom right of your windscreen so its not obscuring your view of the road ahead - but it was incorrect and they promptly took their tweet down.

I dont know what the laws are over here in ireland (if there are laws) about placement of the Sat Nav and using one when you are driving.

I think Sky News was saying its an on the spot fine of 50quid if your Sat Nav is placed incorrect position on the windscreen and 150quid and 3 penalty points if you are caught using/pressing the sat Nav whilst driving .

Where do people on here have their sat nav placed in the car if you have one and have you ever heard of anyone being done for having it in wrong place or using it whilst driving?

Comments

Would you ever just go to sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

JayZeus wrote: »
    Would you ever just go to sleep?

i am writing this whilst im asleep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

All I could find was page 49 in this.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Driving%20for%20work/Safe_Driving_for_Work_Handbook_.pdf
    Sat-Nav Safety tips for drivers:

Position your ‘sat nav’ safely to avoid the air bags and to
    prevent interference with the vehicles controls

Familiarise yourself with the menu system and set
    preferences prior to any journey commencing

Review the map before starting out to make sure that the
    system is proposing the correct roads, to the correct
    destination

Concentrate on the road and not the sat nav screen

Always obey road signs and take notice of warning signs

Make sure that the route taken is suitable for the vehicle
    being used

Never attempt to program a sat nav whilst driving

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

me_irl wrote: »

yeah thats a point dont obstruct airbags - i suppose in an accident where the airbag goes off it would project like a missile if the sat nav was placed in the area of a airbag.

doesnt seem to be anything in that handbook about fines or penalty points no?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

either the car itself has one on the screen between the rev counter and speedo or the phone sits in the centre console with it on.
    no need for an actual separate satnav any more for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

People still own satnavs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Maps are for people with no sense of direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Maps are for people with no sense of direction.

Alpha male thread >>>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's integrated into the central touchscreen or available between the speedometer and rev meter. Does anybody use stand alone Satnav anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's integrated into the central touchscreen or available between the speedometer and rev meter. Does anybody use stand alone Satnav anymore?

Of course they do as most new cars bought in Ireland are poverty spec. So this means they don't have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Air vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Satnavs and other mapping technology don't work too well up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

My phone fits perfectly into the clock/radio display recess. Blob of blue tak to stop it slipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The UK driving test now includes a period where drivers must correctly follow pre-programmed route instructions from a dedicated Sat Nav. stuck top middle on the dash.

I've used my phone, in-car system & a dedicated Sat Nav to get out to client sites in about 14 different countries & I find a stand alone device outshines the others by some considerable margin (though I believe many professional drivers use a combination of google maps & a Garmin or TomTom).

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

ardinn wrote: »
    People still own satnavs?

Yeah. I have an old car and use one when driving in cities I don't know very well. Am I considered uncool now or something?

I stick it on the bottom centre of my windscreen btw...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't. I have a couple of these under the passenger seat.
    Building-a-CRM-Roadmap.jpg

If stuck in the beyonds, chaps like this are also handy.

no-5.jpg
    Old school and organic. :D
    Sat-Nav Safety tips for drivers:

Position your ‘sat nav’ safely to avoid the air bags and to
    prevent interference with the vehicles controls
    The only airbag in my car is me and I'm also the biggest interference risk with the vehicles controls.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have no time for a Second Opinion Machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I had put my TomTom away but have since blown off the dust and put it back in the car.

Google maps has let me down several times now and have lost some confidence in it.

e.g. I know I am 0.5 mile away from the house I need to be at in a housing estate, but it says I have arrived at the finish......so annoying as I have to drive off further away before it thinks it needs to do something and start directing me again.

Still use stand alone TomTom (with very old maps) for driving around UK as my phone connection can be iffy at best over the water.

I'm too poor to have built in car satnav

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Alpha male thread >>>>>>

We need a [sarcasm/] font. :o

Advertisement