Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Doorbell setup question

Options
  • 06-01-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought the Ring Doorbell yesterday and set it up this evening without any problems. I intend trying to wire it in to my doorbell tomorrow but for now it's running on the battery. The problem is when I press the bell, while it lights up, it doesn't connect to my app at all. I have everything set up on in the settings as far as I can see but could I be missing something in the setup? I entered my debit card details in the account settings in case you had to pay but I'm obviously missing some other step.

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

The only thing I can suggest is to remove the device from your app and try to add it again.

Tap on the bell, tap on the cog in the upper right corner and the red "Remove Device" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hopskipandjump

Thanks a lot, that did the trick. However, the video is only working while I have the Ring on the charger, there's an error message when trying to connect to video when it's not being charged. That problem will hopefully sort itself out when I wire it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Thanks a lot, that did the trick. However, the video is only working while I have the Ring on the charger, there's an error message when trying to connect to video when it's not being charged. That problem will hopefully sort itself out when I wire it in.

Did you fully charge the battery up before using it? Could be the issue.

Hopefully wiring it in will sort that out.

Also, be sure to check the Device Health in the app to see the wireless status. I still get some false motion alerts on "OK" or "Good" connection.

I didn't charge it, just went straight in as I've no patience! It was at about 55% out of the packaging, now at 75%. I'll see if the issue resolves when it's fully charged or when I have it wired in. The signal strength is 'Good' so that's not the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I didn't charge it, just went straight in as I've no patience! It was at about 55% out of the packaging, now at 75%. I'll see if the issue resolves when it's fully charged or when I have it wired in. The signal strength is 'Good' so that's not the issue.

Did you resolve the issue?
    Battery power at 55 shouldn't have an impact on the transmission of notifications.

What router do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not having it fully charged shoudn't cause a transmission issue, I put mine in at 75% but later removed it and fully charged it.

However, they do say it should be fully charged when wired so maybe take it out and charge it anyway. I have noticed that depending on usage the percentage on mine can drop from 100% to 98%.

I had some issues with the app the other day about not getting notifications, removing it and reinstalling what turned out to be a newer version worked (newer version had volume and chime choice for notifications on my phone in the app, old did not)

I fully charged my device and had no problems hooking it up to the existing doorbell but it wasn't working properly on my phone, just showing a blank screen or not able to connect. I decided there was something glitchy so I did a hard reset (press the red button for 15 seconds) and it seemed fine after that. I actually took down the bell again as I didn't like it's positioning (in a corner basically). I got a piece of timber today that's wedge shaped which I'm going to glue to the wall with Tec7 glue and then screw the bell to it so it's just better angled for when someone actually approaches the door. Just waiting for the paint to dry and hope have it all operational tomorrow evening. Interestingly I seem to have the most up-to-date app but I don't have the option to change the chime but I can change the volume. Maybe that's just an option if you're using their chime bell rather than your own existing bell.

Have my bell securely (I hope!) in place and it's working perfectly.

Advertisement