Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Lynch Tunnel Speeders

Options
  • 06-01-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

As far as I'm aware the Jack Lynch Tunnel has them cameras that measure the amount of time it took you to travel through the tunnel to tell whether you were breaking the speed limit or not. Last week I went through the tunnel twice, going the speed limit but literally every car in the other lane was flying by me, how do they not get caught?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭JamBur

There's no speed cameras in the tunnel or approaches

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kilroyss

JamBur wrote: »

Oh... Thanks for clearing that up!

JamBur wrote: »

Oh... Thanks for clearing that up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sure ya could nearly throw a stone from one end of that to the other !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Jesus nearly had a heart attack there!

JeffKenna wrote: »

Sorry about that! 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

JeffKenna wrote: »
    i don't remember reading that in the bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DPT has the only average speed system in Ireland.

When the speed limit suits and it's actually dangerous to speed, great idea. Tunnels are probably the only place on a dual carriageway where they should even be considered, and we've 33% of our major tunnels covered so far so it's probably only a matter of time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Would be no harm having them in the JLT, with the eejitry I see happening there in the evenings especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

sdanseo wrote: »
    DPT has the only average speed system in Ireland.

When the speed limit suits and it's actually dangerous to speed, great idea. Tunnels are probably the only place on a dual carriageway where they should even be considered, and we've 33% of our major tunnels covered so far so it's probably only a matter of time :D

Limerick tunnel has the pop-up Garda behind the sign for the Clonmacken exit, just as you come out of the North side of the tunnel. Haven't encountered it myself but apparently can only be spotted last minute so I certainly make sure not to increase speed until I'm actually at the 100km/h limit signs just past that.

I find it odd that the Limerick tunnel has a dashed line for the lanes, i.e. lane changes are permitted in the tunnel. Doesn't seem a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sdanseo wrote: »
    DPT has the only average speed system in Ireland...
    Isn't there a few on the A1 near Lisburn - or there used to be anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Weren’t average speed cameras tested during a temporary 60k zone during roadworks on m7 around Newbridge, Kildare last year. I don’t think they were used for prosecutions but they should be for road works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Zoney wrote: »
    Limerick tunnel has the pop-up Garda behind the sign for the Clonmacken exit, just as you come out of the North side of the tunnel. Haven't encountered it myself but apparently can only be spotted last minute so I certainly make sure not to increase speed until I'm actually at the 100km/h limit signs just past that.

I find it odd that the Limerick tunnel has a dashed line for the lanes, i.e. lane changes are permitted in the tunnel. Doesn't seem a great idea.

Longer tunnel, and straighter. DPT allows overtaking also, although of course it's considerably longer again.
    RustyNut wrote: »
    Weren’t average speed cameras tested during a temporary 60k zone during roadworks on m7 around Newbridge, Kildare last year. I don’t think they were used for prosecutions but they should be for road works.

Heard stories of that but no actual accounts of anyone being caught. Drove through it once at the time and didn't see any sign of actual cameras.

This time around I'm driving it every day and the 60km/h limit is there but so far not being enforced at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Patww79 wrote: »

Theres permanant ones on the route between Holywood and Bangor. 50mph zone and funny enough its mostly too twisty and has loads of traffic lights so they're kinda wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sure ya could nearly throw a stone from one end of that to the other !

Can you nearly see light from the other side as soon as you enter? That makes it an underpass!

:D

But in answer to your question OP, its only the Port Tunnel that has them cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was going through the JLT one morning last week at about 7.15 am so just getting busy. I was side by side with another truck and some loon on a motorbike flew down between us flat out!

I wish they could fine the dopes chopping and changing lanes in the Tunnel when they know they are in the wrong lane....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd be keener on a lane change camera in the JLT,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement