Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this piano excessive for beginner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Not into pianos but.. that looks top of the range. It would look great in the living room.

Like any new hobby, you want to invest enough to feel good about it. That may be overkill for a beginner but presumably you won't be a beginner for long.

That being said, it's an expensive bit of kit and you could learn piano to a decent standard on a quarter of the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

That piano is almost 4 grand. So, eh, yes, that is ridiculously excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Was in a similar position 18 months ago when I decided to return to the piano having briefly played when younger.
    Found myself looking at Yamaha clavinovas but couldn't really tell much difference with the basic models, so decided to start with their p45.
    I'll upgrade when I out grow it. Hasn't happened yet.
    Digital pianos don't hold their value very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

bbbbb wrote: »
    Was in a similar position 18 months ago when I decided to return to the piano having briefly played when younger.
    Found myself looking at Yamaha clavinovas but couldn't really tell much difference with the basic models, so decided to start with their p45.
    I'll upgrade when I out grow it. Hasn't happened yet.
    Digital pianos don't hold their value very well.

Is that because the tech moves on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I'm relatively new to piano but want to learn. I have no limit to my budget (within reason) but would this piano be excessive?

A waste of money. My parents bought me a similar one 20 odd years ago. It was a top of the range Casio clavinova, great bit of kit but was rarely used. Remember it costing 2,500 pounds in the early 90s. Jesus I was a little bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Is that because the tech moves on?

Definitely a major factor. Buyers tend to look for 2nd hand classical style pianos.

Have a look here,

http://www.precisionpianos.com/

Sure they'd be happy to talk through options with you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I have no limit to my budget (within reason) but would this piano be excessive?

Yes!

I bought one of these, a Roland HP-1, for my wife 20 years ago. Her dad was an exceptional pianist and he loved to play it, said it was as good as any mid-range "real" piano. It still is. The missus has moved on to another man, but the piano's still here, and my pianist guests play it for hours at a time, so mine is not for sale, but the one in the ad is only 650€ so, yeah, 4k is excessive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

If you know what you are looking for, and paying 4 grand gets it for you, then yeah.

But at your level I would say it’s complete overkill.

And I can tell you from bitter experience that the price of digital pianos drops so much it’ll give you nosebleed.

Oink wrote: »
    If you know what you are looking for, and paying 4 grand gets it for you, then yeah.

But at your level I would say it’s complete overkill.

And I can tell you from bitter experience that the price of digital pianos drops so much it’ll give you nosebleed.

This model will be much cheaper soonish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

This model will be much cheaper soonish?

I think it's more a case that it will automatically lose 50% of its value when you open the box... At least you'd be taking a huge hit if you tried to offload it second-hand.

• Advertisement

If I don't go down the electic piano route, can any of you suggest a decent electric keyboard as a cheaper alternative?

Advertisement