Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw Milling

Options
  • 06-01-2018 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with trying to reclaim wood via saw Milling logs.I recently acquired 3 ESB utility poles and was hoping to make a start on reclaiming them as there is some good timber to be had.I understand I will need a chainsaw and some kind of jig,so any input and advice would be appreciated. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

Are they not full of posinous treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 patchyamac

Bigus wrote: »
    Are they not full of posinous treatment?

I assume the outside is weather treated,but looking at them the cores seem perfectly fine.At the most ill be making decking or something similar,I sure as hell won't be making chopping boards and the like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Afaik the poles are pressure treated with creosote, so I think decking will be out. When the summer heat comes the smell alone will be unpleasant and the wood may ooze creosote.

The poles are going to be horrible to cut up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 patchyamac

Oldtree wrote: »
    Afaik the poles are pressure treated with creosote, so I think decking will be out. When the summer heat comes the smell alone will be unpleasant and the wood may ooze creosote.

The poles are going to be horrible to cut up too.

Reading up on creosote,it seems even burning them is out of the question.Thanks for the insight

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

patchyamac wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone has any experience with trying to reclaim wood via saw Milling logs.I recently acquired 3 ESB utility poles and was hoping to make a start on reclaiming them as there is some good timber to be had.I understand I will need a chainsaw and some kind of jig,so any input and advice would be appreciated. TIA

For a couple of hundred euro, a logosol timberjig, with suitable bar and chains for your saw would seem to be the answer. the creosote may limit uses for the boards, but....... I am sure you'll find something to do with the planks. Good luck with your project, naturally you'll be able to use your timberjig on other projects in the future too, I have knocked great mileage out of mine.
    tim

• Advertisement
Advertisement