Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Scania L series truck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What is the concept supposed to be? I can't see anything there that hasn't been done before?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Looks like a good truck that was deigned well with the driver's needs in mind, the kneeling, extrawide door, manoeuvrability etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The design at the front is a bit of a change, taking into account aerodynamic efficiency no doubt.

The big one for me is the kneeling aspect though.

God knows how many times i have slipped getting in and out of the cab with the steps.

The only other rubbish truck that would come anywhere near close in cab height in the Mercedes Econic rubbish trucks and even they have 2 steps to get in.

Also the larger storage compartment at the back/tail lifts are a bigger help.

Nothing worse when, in the middle of a shift you have to call in for a swap out as your truck is full, again these were mostly Mercedes.

The previous Scania rubbish truck i did drive had 3 steps into the cab but was a nice truck, never missed a gear change.

Also of all the rubbish trucks i drove, Scania's were the only ones to offer seating for a crew of 4.

Mercedes and some MAN's only having room for 1 or 2 comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would rubbish truck often usually be a one man job though?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would rubbish truck often usually be a one man job though?

When I was doing it, 2 was a minimum.

If it was the likes of say, a Mitsubishi Fuso though, that could operate as one man as you are only going around collecting bins that were missed during the regular collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The design at the front is a bit of a change, taking into account aerodynamic efficiency no doubt.

God knows how many times i have slipped getting in and out of the cab with the steps.

The only other rubbish truck that would come anywhere near close in cab height in the Mercedes Econic rubbish trucks and even they have 2 steps to get in.

Also the larger storage compartment at the back/tail lifts are a bigger help.

Nothing worse when, in the middle of a shift you have to call in for a swap out as your truck is full, again these were mostly Mercedes.

The previous Scania rubbish truck i did drive had 3 steps into the cab but was a nice truck, never missed a gear change.

Also of all the rubbish trucks i drove, Scania's were the only ones to offer seating for a crew of 4.

Mercedes and some MAN's only having room for 1 or 2 comfortably.

Was reading this thinking "This guy must hate his job, if he thinks all the trucks he's driven are rubbish" :pac:

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

On a new truck like that would they all be kitted out inside like a premium car with climate control, premium media player, reversing camera etc or can you get entry level models with all the toys stripped out to save a few quid?

Was reading this thinking "This guy must hate his job, if he thinks all the trucks he's driven are rubbish" :pac:

Nate

:pac:

On a new truck like that would they all be kitted out inside like a premium car with climate control, premium media player, reversing camera etc or can you get entry level models with all the toys stripped out to save a few quid?

Never drove any of the modern top spec stuff but I’ve been in them, Volvo are my favourite there :D

My daily runner is an 11 year old Scania that was formerly on the continent.

Has a few toys to be fair but nothing in modern trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is your truck LHD? I know my local bin crowd has a LHD small one.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is your truck LHD? I know my local bin crowd has a LHD small one.

All RHD.

I’ve come across LHD’s though which were on domestic routes and handy for kerbside collections.

Have you driven a Dennis Eagle?

Have you driven a Dennis Eagle?

There was none in my company.

The only types of Dennis i have driven are buses.

There was none in my company.

The only types of Dennis i have driven are buses.

I got that impression, simply because all the Dennis waste bodies have had low cabs/steps for years. You don't climb into the cab so much as just step into it.

I got that impression, simply because all the Dennis waste bodies have had low cabs/steps for years. You don't climb into the cab so much as just step into it.

Seen a Dennis Eagle today, they don't look that low. They are similar to the Mercedes Econic in relation to cab height/steps.

Seen a Dennis Eagle today, they don't look that low. They are similar to the Mercedes Econic in relation to cab height/steps.

They are that low in fact.

The L series step after lowering is 440mm from the ground, while even years ago the Dennis steps were 435mm.

And the Econic would indeed be similar to the Dennis but that was my point, that low access steps are not some new innovation at all, they have been industry standard for a long time.

They are that low in fact.

The L series step after lowering is 440mm from the ground, while even years ago the Dennis steps were 435mm.

And the Econic would indeed be similar to the Dennis but that was my point, that low access steps are not some new innovation at all, they have been industry standard for a long time.

2 steps into the Econic.

If it was kneeling that would be fine, i see what you meant now.

2 steps into the Econic.

If it was kneeling that would be fine, i see what you meant now.

Its 2 steps into all of them, L series as well.

Its 2 steps into all of them, L series as well.

Does the Dennis kneel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The one in the first video is camouflaged as it was a development model before the unveiling. It's mentioned on the Facebook page.

Seems like they are taking a leaf out of Dennis design manual for the overall concept.

Crewcab looks nice and City safety windows are useful with increasing cyclist levels.

Could perhaps have fitted it with a clever warning system like the Mercedes cars "Blindspot assist". That would be a lifesaver and stress saver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

That’s fairly ugly.
    It would only be on use on city runs and I think the front would get beeched on a landfill if it had to tip in one. Certainly any of the tips I’ve being on anyways.

The one in the first video is camouflaged as it was a development model before the unveiling. It's mentioned on the Facebook page.

Seems like they are taking a leaf out of Dennis design manual for the overall concept.

Crewcab looks nice and City safety windows are useful with increasing cyclist levels.

Could perhaps have fitted it with a clever warning system like the Mercedes cars "Blindspot assist". That would be a lifesaver and stress saver.

The more I look at the Scania and the Dennis I see similarities, looks like the Swedish lads may have been a bit late to the party on some aspects.

The blind spot assist would be a godsend.

I like the city safety windows to be honest.

That’s fairly ugly.
    It would only be on use on city runs and I think the front would get beeched on a landfill if it had to tip in one. Certainly any of the tips I’ve being on anyways.

Do you think so? I wouldn’t say it’s the worst by no means.

Most of those are in the city anyway.

Are there many landfills left around the country?

Advertisement