Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accreditation value

Options
  • 05-01-2018 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi, I'm currently planning on applying for Psychology through the CAO to various institutions. I've been looking at different possibilities at studying beforehand to increase my chances of being accepted later, and my options are mostly in the form of one class a week or online courses.

I've come across a variety of different sources of accreditation. The Irish framework is seemingly the only official qualification, and there are only component credits available, so a qualification from one module.

The others I have seen include ABC, ICM, and ICOES. Does anyone know which of these have any value or whether any of them do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Helpish

Anyone?

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vauraine

Your best bet for getting into third level as a mature student is an access course imo. But in relation to the validity of the awards, I'd contact the people offering them and ask. Once it's a reputable organisation, they're not gonna be out to screw you over by lying to you.

vauraine wrote: »
    Your best bet for getting into third level as a mature student is an access course imo. But in relation to the validity of the awards, I'd contact the people offering them and ask. Once it's a reputable organisation, they're not gonna be out to screw you over by lying to you.

I see these courses run from September to May usually, which puts me in a little bit of a spot with regards to studying at third-level full-time come September. I'm planning on taking up volunteer work in the meantime as well as trying to find a course. There are some aspects of the Access courses that seem incredibly tedious, maybe I'm being a bit arrogant towards them.

I'm on an access course at the minute and yes, I find elements of it tedious but the majority of it is helpful. And they're looked on very favourably by HEIs, or so I've heard lol. Filling out the CAO at the moment so I'll find out soon enough

• Advertisement

vauraine wrote: »
    I'm on an access course at the minute and yes, I find elements of it tedious but the majority of it is helpful. And they're looked on very favourably by HEIs, or so I've heard lol. Filling out the CAO at the moment so I'll find out soon enough

Is there any reason you didn't consider another type course in the field you're looking to study? I'm trying to find something at this moment but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options.

I've also heard the early access courses are highly favoured btw, so that should put you in good stead. I recently talked with someone who is doing a PhD that started with early access. Perhaps I'm trying to rush things by doing something in just a few months that would give me a similar accreditation. I'll keep looking anyway. Thanks for replying.

To be honest I chose UCD's access course rather than another for a few reasons. It's part time, so only 2 days a week for a few hours and they offer a guaranteed place on a selection of courses (one of which I was interested in) if you get over a certain mark in the access course. I have one course in another college that I really want, which is my number 1 choice but number 2 is a guaranteed place for me unless I f*** it up royally this semester.

I know that the access course this year took in a few people up until 2 weeks in so mid September, so it might just be an option if you don't get a full time place for September.

Sorry for the delay in replying!

No problem, thanks again.

Yeah, I probably need to put my plan in place for what happens if things go asunder.

Advertisement