Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain neoliberalism please?

Options
  • 05-01-2018 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

I have an essay to do on neo liberalism but I dont fully understand what it even means. Can someone please explain it to me, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

It's vanilla, strawberry and banana flavoured ice cream all in one block. HB's is nicest. Any other questions fire away, I'm somewhat of an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Noveight wrote: »
    It's vanilla, strawberry and banana flavoured ice cream all in one block. HB's is nicest. Any other questions fire away, I'm somewhat of an expert.

Stop confusing the OP !

Isn’t that lemon and not banana as you have said

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's an economic doctrine that espouses that the so-called 'free' market knows best, except when it doesn't, and has to be bailed out by the public, and resuscitated from cardiac arrest by massive jolts of Quantitative Easing (formerly known as 'printing money').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

worded wrote: »
    Stop confusing the OP !

Isn’t that lemon and not banana as you have said

Good point, I've seen both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The biggest self-serving scam in human history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

dd972 wrote: »

A economic doctrine that fools the public into acting against their own interests by colluding in the upward distribution of wealth/power into fewer and fewer hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

dd972 wrote: »

How so? Money value is debased and assets value like property rises ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's an economic doctrine that espouses that the so-called 'free' market knows best, except when it doesn't, and has to be bailed out by the public, and resuscitated from cardiac arrest by massive jolts of Quantitative Easing (formerly known as 'printing money').

I've never had that flavour of ice cream, one of Ben&Jerrys yeah?

Or to answer the OP, pretty much what he said without the ice cream.

I've never had that flavour of ice cream, one of Ben&Jerrys yeah?

Quantity eating Mmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have an essay to do on neo liberalism but I dont fully understand what it even means. Can someone please explain it to me, thanks.

I can't explain Roscommon no mind neo-liberalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

1hfwsc.jpg

AllForIt wrote: »

Indeed, another anonoly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

AllForIt wrote: »

Fun fact. The idea for the wasteland in the Fallout Universe came from when game developers had spent a day in Roscommon about 10years ago*

*this may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Good question OP :) Here's a link to a general sum-up of neo-liberal effects in Ireland, from last year (minus 4 days...):

https://www.tasc.ie/blog/2016/06/15/neoliberalism-exposed/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Nope. That is EU federalism you are describing. Which is highly dangerous. Though the Irish political establishment have yet to wise up to this.

Neo-liberalism is that the free market knows best, and then when it doesn't, you leave it the hell alone and it fixes itself in time, perhaps involving some painful but well-learned lessons for all concerned.

Like our friend communism, it has arguably never been tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Healthcare in the USA is another example of Neoliberalism. It gets called a free market, but it's not, for multiple reasons. Hospitals and the HMOs behind them operate local monopolies, where there isn't really any choice but to use their services. And even where there is choice, it's not often available to you at the point you need it. If you're having a heart attack and call 911, do you care which ambulance service arrives to take you to which hospital?

There might be a market in secondary healthcare, for elective procedures such as boob jobs, but the insane costs for receiving primary healthcare reflect the fact that there is no real market there. People are having to mortgage their houses to pay for cancer treatment, for example. GoFundMe has a major category for people asking for help with medical bills.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Neo liberalism = the only way to get anything done in this country without kowtowing to a union.

Advertisement