Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's educational or puzzle game

Options
  • 04-01-2018 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi, maybe not the typical target market but hoping you guys might be able to help.

Have young children aged 4,5 and 8. The wife would go bananas if I got a console, but have recently built a gaming pc and really enjoying it when I'm not ahem working on it.

But was thinking when I was young and playing Commodore 64 games and even writing BASIC and typing in code from magazines to create simple games. Great memories. Also remembering in school we had an Amiga 500 (attended primary school in New Zealand, great school!) and rewards for the kids were time to play a game called "where in the world is Carmen Sandiego" which was a geography trivia puzzle type game. Loved it.

So wondering is there any good PC games for young kids that have a puzzle or educational aspect so the wife won't be giving out. But the kids still get the joy of playing a game as well.....
    Ideally good visuals and easy to navigate for little hands!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Well for games, there are Portal and Portal 2, but they could be a little advance for your kids.
    But they are AMAZING games and critically acclaimed.

Recently I played a game called Gorogoa...which is a beautiful kind of Art Puzzle game...it's on PC too btw

There are many games on STEAM, you can filter by PUZZLE games.

However, you mentioned CODING etc, if you'd like them to get into that you can always use https://code.org/
    That would be more helpful, beneficial and stand to them later in life, and it has levels that would suit young kids too.
    It has course for ages 4+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Minecraft would be great choice I know it is used in some schools here is link with some possible resources
    https://education.minecraft.net

Also it will help teach something far more important than what they learn in schools that is creativity. Games don't have to necessarily be "educational" to be good for kids, many games involve problem solving which is important life skill.

Scribblenauts is another that comes to mind where they have to solve puzzles by being creative, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Well for games, there are Portal and Portal 2, but they could be a little advance for your kids.
    But they are AMAZING games and critically acclaimed.

Recently I played a game called Gorogoa...which is a beautiful kind of Art Puzzle game...it's on PC too btw

There are many games on STEAM, you can filter by PUZZLE games.

However, you mentioned CODING etc, if you'd like them to get into that you can always use https://code.org/
    That would be more helpful, beneficial and stand to them later in life, and it has levels that would suit young kids too.
    It has course for ages 4+

Thanks a mill really appreciate you taking the time, great ideas!!

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Minecraft would be great choice I know it is used in some schools here is link with some possible resources
    https://education.minecraft.net

Also it will help teach something far more important than what they learn in schools that is creativity. Games don't have to necessarily be "educational" to be good for kids, many games involve problem solving which is important life skill.

Scribblenauts is another that comes to mind where they have to solve puzzles by being creative, worth a look.

Great will have a look at both. Totally agree on the creative side and something we really encourage at home albeit with different media...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Kerbal space program - train them to be rocket scientists.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Yep you got me, consider me spoofed!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Yep you got me, consider me spoofed!

Remember to think outside the box :pac:

Advertisement