Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin Cemetery

Options
  • 04-01-2018 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

In the news this week is talk of a proposal to build over a section of the cemetery called St Pauls. It appears they have decided against it.... Can anyone locate this area? I have relatives buried near a 'poor ground' and hope it is left undisturbed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

cobham wrote: »
    In the news this week is talk of a proposal to build over a section of the cemetery called St Pauls. It appears they have decided against it.... Can anyone locate this area? I have relatives buried near a 'poor ground' and hope it is left undisturbed.

Saint Paul's is the section between the two railway lines, 100 metre south of the Finglas Road, that is opposite the main cemetery.

There is no questionof building over graves, least of all in Saint Paul's, which is relatively modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭cobham

Thanks for that! I forgot to look over the road... yes on my map.

Glasnevin Trust was granted planning permission to build a new crematorium chapel in the St Paul’s section of the cemetery, within an area known as the “Poor Ground”. It was intended to commemorate the 232 citizens of the capital who died in the 1916 Rising. The plans also included provisions for a car park and walled garden.

Advertisement