Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying index shares

• 04-01-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

I'm a complete noob to investing, but I find it interesting and have a strong analytic background so could learn v quickly. I'd like to invest in something relatively safe at first, perhaps low cost index shares.

How do I go about this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Hi,
    I don't think "index shares" is a term that actually means anything. I assume you mean units in an index fund(s).

Doing a thorough search on this forum on index funds and ETFs would be a start. There's a hundred threads identical to this "how I buy index funds".

Degiro would be another good search term. They are low cost broker to buy ETFs. You can't buy index funds directly in Ireland. ETFs are as close as you can get.

PS index funds are not "safe"as they go up and down based on underlying holdings. Granted they are less volatile than individual shares but they still come with "you lose money" warnings.

Advertisement