Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car number 2 - "Starbug"

Options
  • 03-01-2018 9:56pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Only passed my test in October, the better half has been driving me around for 10 years, so whilst learning and since the test I've been doing pretty much all the driving. The Ioniq has been absolutely great for our needs and I really enjoy the car. However it's got to the point where we need want a second car.

I was pretty keen to get a Tesla Model 3, and had resigned myself to waiting till mid 2019. With all the reviews now available, I find that I just don't like the boot. It's enough to make me hold off for the Model Y which will hopefully be more to my taste. In the mean time I've decided that I really like the Kona and would be happy to pick up the EV version.

I'm fairly confident the Kona EV will be announced at the Geneva motor show in March, given the Ioniq timeframes, that could line up for a January '19 entry into the Irish market. I'm pretty resolved to waiting for it and will be knocking on the dealers door the day it's announced.

So that leaves us with the second car problem, initially I thought about picking up a second hand Zoe. I took one for a test drive and just didn't like the driving feel. To make sure it wasn't the car, I also test drove a new Zoe and had the same feeling. It's just not a car I'd like to drive. I really don't like the look of the Leaf so didn't bother to test drive it. Electric Autos had an e-Up! just imported from the UK. We took it out for a test drive and I kind of fell in love with it.

The driving feel was much nicer and I felt vary natural in the car within 50m. It also appeals to my quirkier side. It's literally the only VW e-Up! registered in Ireland. I'm looking forward to some narky so and so telling me that a charging bay is only for EVs when I pull in to use the CCS.

Autobild tested the car in 5 degrees with the heat set to 21 and got a range of 80km, the Ioniq got 190km in the same test which is about what we get in ours right now. That gives me the confidence that this should give me 80-90km of range at this time of year. More than enough for the times I'll be using it.

I don't really plan to do any long journeys in the car, it will be mostly used around Dublin. For anything further we'll take the Ioniq. Most of our commuting is shared, so the Ioniq will still be what I'm driving most days. It will probably be mostly used on Saturday and Sunday mornings when the Mrs is at the gym.

This is probably the least practical purchase I've ever made, but it should be fun :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Happy travels! I've often looked at the e-Up and thought VW could sell a few at the right price.

Well wear, a different one for sure. I haven't seen one in the wild yet. Very rare.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I must admit, knowing I'm driving the only one in the country is part of the attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

The eUp is really nice city car. Drove one in the summer and enjoyed every bit of it! Plenty of poke when Eco modes are NOT selected :) I was wondering who got it as I've seen Phil had deposit taken...

The very best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well wear!

Your car is more unique in this country than most exotic cars like Ferraris :D

You didn't consider an i3?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Well wear!

Your car is more unique in this country than most exotic cars like Ferraris :D

You didn't consider an i3?

Couldn't stand the thought of Mad_Lad following me around trying to slip a sneaky rex into boot ;)

liamog wrote: »
    Couldn't stand the thought of Mad_Lad following me around trying to slip a sneaky rex into boot ;)

I would not be surprised if I did see it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I had the petrol version for a few months and it really was a joy to drive.

At twice the price of a regular up, the eUP sure ain't cheap!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2014-vw-move-up/17062455

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Picked her up today.

Will take some pics when the light is decent

Picked her up today.

Will take some pics when the light is decent

Excellent!
    That little bug is a really nice car!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Nice one!James and Kate on YouTube did a video on the e-Up recently and it looked like a great little car.It's a shame it's not available in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Best of luck with it....

Some of the points you made is the reason I love the eGolf.

In city centre when you take off down the road and everyone is looking wondering why no noise :-) One day I took off, had to stop at lights, after about 2 mins looked behind and some guy was standing at the back of car trying to make out what it was....haha ....he was still standing when I took off again

VW Liffey Valley seem to be only garage with interest in Electric cars. I have to take mine in for service in next few weeks so will see how I get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    VW Liffey Valley seem to be only garage with interest in Electric cars. I have to take mine in for service in next few weeks so will see how I get on....

It's the only one within a range of 200km from Dublin that sells them :p

So here it is, I've just about figured out the car now.

There is a lot of weird things about the e-UP! I'm not sure what VW was thinking.

1. You have to stab the side of steering wheel with a blunt metal knife to make it go, once it's in you have to twist it.
    2. The drive mode selector buttons appear to be hidden beneath some strange stick that is pushed forwards and backwards. I can only presume they ran out of wire and figured the extender stick was a reasonable solution.
    3. The stop me rolling button appears to have the same issue, they used the stick approach again, but up and down this time. When I'm at a full stop it seems to want to start rolling again when I stop tickling it with my feet.
    4. The lights and rain go-er awayers seem to be broken. Luckily if you give the car a nipple twist it lights up like a canary, must be some kind of sensory overload. The rain go-er awayers also seem to need you to bend back the fingers of the car.
    5. I was driving along the N3 and the car didn't even try and keep to the center of the lane, this thing needs obedience classes. What's the point have a car if I have to do all the work myself.

I'm getting the impression that whoever designed this thing had serious anger issues.

In all seriousness, I'm really happy with the car so far. Heading out to Dún Laoghaire for a conference. Putting the car to it's first official second car duty.
    Here's my first fast charge in prep :)
    LdexZo2.jpg?1

Oh and whilst Fast Charging I met Cros13 :waves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Great looking car. Such a pity there's so few of them about!

Oh and whilst Fast Charging I met Cros13 :waves

Cros13, you are everywhere today :)

Soon all boardies will know you in person :):)

Lovely looking car....

I guess it comes with access to Carnet?

Yep has CarNet support, the free period has expired I paid €99 for the year to re activate it.

Starbug is in for it's NCT on Sunday.

Got it serviced in Frank Keane VW Liffey Valley. Couple of updates to be applied and they changed the brake fluid.

I had to play musical cars between our Black Ioniq and the e-Up!. Plan was to move the e-Up! to Liffey Valley, drive the Ioniq back to the city center to pick up the wife, then back to Liffey Valley to pick the e-Up! back up and take it home.

I accidentally ;) made an EV sandwich along the way.

yjwjY8J.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Starbug is in for it's NCT on Sunday.

Got it serviced in Frank Keane VW Liffey Valley. Couple of updates to be applied and they changed the brake fluid.

I had to play musical cars between our Black Ioniq and the e-Up!. Plan was to move the e-Up! to Liffey Valley, drive the Ioniq back to the city center to pick up the wife, then back to Liffey Valley to pick the e-Up! back up and take it home.

I accidentally ;) made an EV sandwich along the way.

I just got my service done, software updates and brake fluid changed :P

I suppose they cant do much else, I think mine cost 167, or something around that

I just got my service done, software updates and brake fluid changed :P

I suppose they cant do much else, I think mine cost 167, or something around that

That's some expensive brake fluid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Sounds like the standard VW service charge TBH.

Total cost for service. That is nothing. Remember I have come from a Audi A6....

It would cost me nearly 200 quid just to drive the fecking thing into their garage :p

The last service on the A6 cost me €1400

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Your number plates are off centre.
    With the county name not directly above the county letters. As a pedant this would annoy me greatly.

Total cost for service. That is nothing. Remember I have come from a Audi A6....

It would cost me nearly 200 quid just to drive the fecking thing into their garage :p

The last service on the A6 cost me €1400
    JayCee.... what the hell were they doing to it :)
    No wonder why you got rid of it

peposhi wrote: »
    JayCee.... what the hell were they doing to it :)
    No wonder why you got rid of it

Timing belt so maybe a little unfair on Audi

But still the timing belt was only 800 quid.....

They classified that as a big service or something like that, so oils replaced etc. Mental money

Never really expected to get to the point where I was doing the second NCT on Starbug. Put two new front tyres on her on Friday morning, nothing particularly special as I'll be selling her in July.
    I spent some of Friday afternoon doing some emergency stops around my neighbourhood as I heard of a few older Leaf's having brake "corrosion" issues. The amount of brake corrosion that I shook off turned the wheels orange, I think we need a term for the brake equivalent of an Italian tuneup!

The car is currently showing a range of 145km, so has dropped by about 15km since I picked it up. Usable range is still about the same though, I've been comfortably doing 90km through the winter GOM was showing 125km, it's back to over 100km now that the weather is improving. My driving is mainly on 100km/h dual carriageways and motorways, with city streets/urban distributors at either end.

Advertisement