Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of getting a kitten!!

Options
  • 03-01-2018 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I was really hoping to get a new kitten but I'm having trouble finding breeders online. I'm very interested in Ragdoll, Sphynx, and exotic shorthair cats. All in all i'm looking for a very affectionate cat for myself and my brother as we both suffer from anxiety and would love a little cat to cuddle! We have a little King Charles dog at the moment who is 11 years old, but we don't anticipate any problems with regard to that.

If anyone can give any advice as to where I might find a kitten of those breeds (or one similar; i'm open to suggestions!) i'd love to hear!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Any particular reason you want those breeds as they are very different in their attitude and requirements? Based on what you're stating I'd say two moggie kittens from a rescue would not only be significantly cheaper but also fill your needs the same while being available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'd have to agree with Nody, all of mine (4 at the moment) are rescues or found kittens, I've had a lot I've rehomed over the years too, it's all down to personality.
    I've one nearly 17year old ginger cat that is the most loving friendly cat I've ever met, and gingers always seem to be cuddly, he was hand reared from 3 weeks.
    A rescue will know the personality of the cat, you won't find young kittens now, they'll be 3 or 4 months, but kitten season starts feb/march so by May they'll be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree too :) I'd also say that if you want to have a reasonable "guarantee" of the temperament of the cat you get then go for an older cat, not a kitten.

The rescues will know which cats are suitable for your needs, and the cats will know too if they think they're suitable for you :)

One of the biggest cuddle monsters I've had was a 7 year old tom, who I always say chose me rather than the other way round. He approached me from within his cage and started rubbing himself against the bars rather than scowling at me from the back. I let him out (yes, I know I shoudn't have!) and he crawled out on to my knees (I was kneeling down) and snuggled down and started purring loudly. How could I say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'd echo what others say about looking at rescue cats, probably a bit older. We've two we adopted and they are both so so affectionate. Our first, Shade, had been badly treated so it did take her time to trust us but now she's just such a cuddler it's unreal. Luna was like that from the start, she's so sweet. No matter where I am in the house they come and find me, when they hear the key in the door they're waiting just inside to say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

You could do what we did and go with a foster kitten, just to make sure there are no issues with your dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm not going to try and sell you on a rescue kitten or an older cat. I have a purebred Siamese cat and a moggie and got both when they were still kittens. I got the moggie when he was 2 weeks old, which was way too early, but circumstances couldn't be helped. I've never bonded more with an animal than I have with him. I love the kitten period and wouldn't miss it for the world.

But if you have your heart set on a particular breed, keep a few things in mind:

1. Some breeds are rare and you may not find a local breeder who has kittens available for years. The Sphynx springs to mind here as it's a well known breed, but still quite rare to actually find breeders. You may even have to look internationally. I know Ragdolls are a very popular breed in the US, but I'm not sure about Ireland.

2. Some breeds, like the Sphynx, are high maintenance when it comes to grooming (they need regular baths and winter clothes) so do your research there, and make sure that's a commitment you can handle.

One last suggestion is that if you want a purebred, why not research some cat breeds that are popular in Ireland, and see if one of those might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have you met any of these breeds or talked to any of their owners yet? There's a few cat shows on throughout the year dotted around the country, the next one is the 11th of February in Thurles. There's definitely always sphynx and ragdolls, quite possibly exotic shorthairs too. You'll be able to meet the cats and talk to the owners, a lot of which are also breeders. You might get a feel for what suits you best. There's a household pets section as well for the bog standard moggies, have to say some of the most chilled out cats in the show belong to the household pets section!

Advertisement