Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More than half of new Norway car sales now electric or hybrid

Options
  • 03-01-2018 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

From RTÉ:
    RTE wrote:
    Sales of electric and hybrid cars exceeded half of new registrations in Norway in 2017, a record aided by generous subsidies that extended the Nordic nation's lead in a shift from fossil-fuel engines.

Pure electric cars and hybrids, which have both battery power and a diesel or petrol motor, accounted for 52% of all new car sales in 2017 in Norway against 40% in 2016, the independent Norwegian Road Federation (OFV) said.

"No one else is close" in terms of a national share of electric cars, OFV chief Oeyvind Solberg Thorsen said.

"For the first time we have a fossil fuel market share below 50%."

Meanwhile in Ireland, we have a fossil fuel market share of 96%.

437745.png
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah but if Ireland imposed a 95% registration tax on new ICEs, people would drive more electric cars here too.
    Norwegians are just trying to save 50% on the cost of a car and get other incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah but if Ireland imposed a 95% registration tax on new ICEs, people would drive more electric cars here too.
    Norwegians are just trying to save 50% on the cost of a car and get other incentives.

It's working though

Norway, a country rich on oil and gas
    Still, look at all those eco friendly electric cars
    It’s only a facade

So would just banning everything else but electric cars. I'm all for electric cars being successful on their own merits, and Norways general approach towards looking to the future. It has to be considered that the reason Norway's economy is doing so well is because of their oil and gas exports.

Norway, a country rich on oil and gas
    Still, look at all those eco friendly electric cars
    It’s only a facade

They produce over 90% of domestic energy from hydro electric. Their smugness is probably justified considering it's countries like ours are consuming their exports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

So, in total 158k new cars where sold in Norway last year (Same population as Ireland, but with a land area 5 times larger!!!). Some interesting facts:
    -Nissan Leaf was only the 8th most sold car
    - E-golf was top of the list, almost 7k cars sold in 2017
    - Other Electric Cars on top 10; BMW i3 was 2nd (5036 cars sold), Tesla Model X was 4th (4748 cars sold), Tesla Model S was 7th
    - All other cars on top 10 list were either plug in hybrids or hybrid cars
    - Most popular diesel car was 14th (Volvo V90)
    - 21% of all cars sold in Norway in 2017 was Electric (in 2016 this was 29%)

For those interested here is a link to a paper that explains the policies andinfrastructure decisions behind all of this:
    https://wpstatic.idium.no/elbil.no/2016/08/EVS30-Charging-infrastrucure-experiences-in-Norway-paper.pdf

Another interesting fact is that even though Norway is a producer of oil and gas, none of this is used to produce electricity. Almost all the electricity in Norway is produced by hydropower, so focus on renewable energy is very high.

koheim wrote: »
    Another interesting fact is that even though Norway is a producer of oil and gas, none of this is used to produce electricity. Almost all the electricity in Norway is produced by hydropower, so focus on renewable energy is very high.

They export their oil and gas. It’s amazing what you can afford to do when you sell your pollutants elsewhere.

Their hands are not clean

They export their oil and gas. It’s amazing what you can afford to do when you sell your pollutants elsewhere.

Perhaps not but at least they are making an effort. All you get in other countries are lobbyists against green energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

And if you talk to any Norwegian they realise the irony in it all but they are atleast investing the income from those fossil fuels into clean tech.
    Ireland on the other hand just signed away our rights to big business for quick cash.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    From RTÉ:

Pure electric cars and hybrids, which have both battery power and a diesel or petrol motor, accounted for 52% of all new car sales in 2017 in Norway against 40% in 2016, the independent Norwegian Road Federation (OFV) said.

"No one else is close" in terms of a national share of electric cars, OFV chief Oeyvind Solberg Thorsen said.

Do hybrids not use fossil fuels? The truth is that the new cars market was still near 80% using fossil fuels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

serfboard wrote: »
    From RTÉ:

Do hybrids not use fossil fuels? The truth is that the new cars market was still near 80% using fossil fuels

Its a misleading BS headline alright. You can't include hybrids in that figure and you could argue including PHEV's is misleading too.

They have massively incentivised EV's and they still "only" managed 21% BEV which shows its not just about the money.

People want choice first and thats a few years away unfortunately.

This line is more interesting though.... "Sales of diesel cars fell most in 2017, to 23% from 31% in 2016."
    Thats a big drop in one year and I presume most of those went hybrid so I suppose it all helps.... diesel-->hybrid-->PHEV-->BEV..... as long as they are moving everything in that direction its all good.

KCross wrote: »
    Its a misleading BS headline alright. You can't include hybrids in that figure and you could argue including PHEV's is misleading too.

They have massively incentivised EV's and they still "only" managed 21% BEV which shows its not just about the money.

People want choice first and thats a few years away unfortunately.

This line is more interesting though.... "Sales of diesel cars fell most in 2017, to 23% from 31% in 2016."
    Thats a big drop in one year and I presume most of those went hybrid so I suppose it all helps.... diesel-->hybrid-->PHEV-->BEV..... as long as they are moving everything in that direction its all good.

Also interesting

" 21% of all cars sold in Norway in 2017 was Electric (in 2016 this was 29%)"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

KCross wrote: »

Most of the Hybrids in the Norwegian sales numbers are PHEVs.

Here are the top 15 sold cars in Norway 2017:
    1. Volkswagen e-Golf, electric
    2. BMW i3, electric
    3. Toyota Rav 4, hybrid
    4. Tesla Model X, electric
    5. Mitsubishi Outlander, plugin-hybrid
    6. Toyota Yaris, hybrid
    7. Tesla Model S, electric
    8. Nissan Leaf, electric
    9. Volkswagen Passat, plugin-hybrid
    10. Toyota Auris, hybrid
    11. Toyota C-HR, hybrid
    12. Mercedes-Benz GLC, plugin-hybrid
    13. Renault Zoe, electric
    14. Volvo V90, diesel
    15. Volkswagen Golf, plugin-hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Here's their sales mix over the last 11 years:

Fu8wR7b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/48404351/why-is-norway-the-land-of-electric-cars

BBC with a good item on this and the incentives Norway uses.

Being allowed to use bus lanes would be so sweet

ewj1978 wrote: »
    And if you talk to any Norwegian they realise the irony in it all but they are atleast investing the income from those fossil fuels into clean tech.
    Ireland on the other hand just signed away our rights to big business for quick cash.

Amazing how big business with this amazing giveaway has yet to sell a single barrel of these supposed billions under our seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

Patser wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/48404351/why-is-norway-the-land-of-electric-cars

BBC with a good item on this and the incentives Norway uses.

Being allowed to use bus lanes would be so sweet

The over-riding factor is the same in Norway as Ireland or anywhere - forcing behavioral change on climate needs to make financial sense for the consumer, and not just hope that people will buy an EV because it’s the right thing to do.

I’ve never met an EV driver tell me about how he’s happy to help save the planet with a €40k Kona, but he’ll happily tell me what it costs to tax and fill up :)

Likewise, I haven’t a clue what my 420d emits in g/CO2, but I know it’s the cheapest car I’ve ever taxed or run.

Doesn’t Norway also massively tax non electric cars?
    If we were still putting huge VRT on cars as we were pre 2008, then incentives to drive electric would mean massive savings vs diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Doesn’t Norway also massively tax non electric cars?
    If we were still putting huge VRT on cars as we were pre 2008, then incentives to drive electric would mean massive savings vs diesel.

That's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Interesting thread title. Only a year later and now 58% of all new cars sold in Norway are pure electric!

The sale of cars with internal combustion engines (petrol / diesel / hybrid / plug in hybrid) will be banned completely in Norway in 5 years time. And for taxis in Oslo in just 3 years time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

Sabre Man wrote: »

Same as in Ireland - merc are 33% down this year, being killed by higher tax after the wltp reclassifications.
    Things like the GLA and GLC went up €5-7k, and the annual tax jumped a few brackets, which puts them waaay out of the market.

https://stats.beepbeep.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sabre Man wrote: »
    From that article:
    The Model 3 is far and away the top selling car in Norway in 2019 so far.
    Not just best selling EV - best selling car.

And 9 of the Top 10 were BEVs - the only exception being the Outlander PHEV, at number 5.

Pure fossil fuel cars were at 22% market share (12% Petrol, 10% Diesel) down from 36% last year.

Advertisement