Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any photogenic hikes/climbs near kerry

Options
  • 03-01-2018 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I'm an avid photographer from Malaysia/UK. I was going to the south west coast for some coastal photos and then taking the ferry from Ireland to Wales for some highland photography. However, i am now quite intrigued by the highlands in SW ireland since ill be in the area anyway. I'm renting a campercar hence having some flexibility to my plans.

Some questions to the regulars here:
    Is there anyone planning a climb up carrauntoohil that i can tag along with/take photos of this week? (Photos yours to keep) (Instagram @amsleeping)
    If not is there a safer but picturesque hike i can solo in the region? (Highland scenery) (am thinking of doing the hydro route till i feel unsafe and then uturn it back... but there are so little pictures so i don't know if worth it for photography!)
    I'm also game for meeting up with anyone interested in photography. Will be around kerry/coastal areas for wednesday to Friday.

Background of expertise (Ultra trail runner completing the UTMB and GR20, won some trail races, summit camped at snowdonia and scafell pike.) HOWEVER, don't know ropes and dont have poles/ice axe on this trip - which is why I'm chickening out of any solo adventures based on what I've read on here! Did bring crampons and proper winterwear though as was planning to winter summit camp snowdonia again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Mangerton mountain just outside Killarney has a clear path most of the way up and very scenic views. You should be fine for most mountains in Kerry with the gear you have, unless the weather is really bad. You will need to be able to navigate in most areas.

Mount Brandon on the Dingle penninsula is hugely scenic, but tends to be cloudy at the top most days. Clear path again.

You could stick a pin in a map of Kerry and find a scenic spot.

Purple Mountain has better views across the National Park. Torc has nice views and is very accessible with a boardwalk most of the way, if you're lugging heavy camera equipment. The coastal mountains, Brandon in Dingle, Hungry Hill in Beara, have better scenery. If you have a car, you can drive to the top of Mount Gabriel in West Cork which gives spectacular coastal views...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

amsleeping wrote: »
    Background of expertise (Ultra trail runner completing the UTMB and GR20, won some trail races, summit camped at snowdonia and scafell pike.) HOWEVER, don't know ropes and dont have poles/ice axe on this trip - which is why I'm chickening out of any solo adventures based on what I've read on here! Did bring crampons and proper winterwear though as was planning to winter summit camp snowdonia again.

Hmm, I wouldn't necessarily base too many judgments on what you read on forums like this. You certainly don't need ropes to safely ascend any hills in Ireland in normal weather. Very occasionally we get a freeze up and ice axe/ crampons would be handy but mostly it's wet, windy and relatively trackless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amsleeping

Thanks all for your advice. I'm gonna extend my stay and driving to kerry cliffs now. Astrophotograhphy tonight and coastal shots tomorrow as its windy cloudy. Looks like sun for sat so might ascend then +/- camp somewhere not too windy for sunrise/astrophotography.

Advertisement