Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballpark plumbing cost

Options
  • 03-01-2018 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,
    As part of new build contractor has quoted pc sum for plumbing...need some opinions on whether it looks reasonable.

2500sq ft bungalow
    Condenser oil boiler + rads
    2 bathrooms (supplying sanitary ware myself)
    250l tank
    No solar
    3 zones: water, living, bedrooms

Price is approx 23k Inc vat

Being a first (and last!!!) time builder, I would really appreciate comments on this...
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

How are you meeting your renewable part L requirements ? (What does your BER require?)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103536171

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rasb

We were quoted, and paid 16,30O inc VAT for similar spec (2,000 sq ft, 4 bed, oil, rads, ) 18 months ago in Cork. Prices have gone up since.

You need to be careful as the PC sum is only an estimate that the builder cannot be held to. If you can, it is generally better to provide a full spec and get a fixed price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Orad

BryanF wrote: »
    How are you meeting your renewable part L requirements ? (What does your BER require?)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103536171

Hi,
    Meeting part L requirements using 3.6kw PV array....dumping unused power to immersion.

Rasb wrote: »
    We were quoted, and paid 16,30O inc VAT for similar spec (2,000 sq ft, 4 bed, oil, rads, ) 18 months ago in Cork. Prices have gone up since.

You need to be careful as the PC sum is only an estimate that the builder cannot be held to. If you can, it is generally better to provide a full spec and get a fixed price.

Thanks.
    Yes. I know prices have gone up...but my figure seems quite high for what I think is a modest plumbing setup.
    I have requested a breakdown....but just wanted some other opinions. I suppose I could go down the route of getting alternative quotes/qs if we can't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

How many rads?
    Sq footage wise it seems on par with i'm paying for re-plumb of 3 bed semi +extension in Dublin.

• Advertisement

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    How many rads?
    Sq footage wise it seems on par with i'm paying for re-plumb of 3 bed semi +extension in Dublin.

Hi jmBuildExt.
    Not what I was hoping to hear:)!

17 rads. Presurrised system.
    Thought perhaps new build bungalow may be more straightforward than re-plumb job.
    I am in Cavan...doubt that will make much difference to price.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Well i say "re-plumb" - but its part of total renovation+extension, everything was (is) stripped back before the plumber went in. Its almost like a new build as far as he is concerned - few floor boards to lift downstairs.

Its actually a friend of mine doing it (he'd probably charge more in the market tbh), and I got him in cos the main contractors price was too high.... think main contractor had it priced at ~16k - im paying 10k (ex vat)
    140m2 (~1400sqft) in total, 2 storey

combi boiler
    10 rads
    new tank in attic
    kitchen, utility
    2 bathrooms
    sanitary ware not included

Cant comment on dublin prices vs rest of country, no direct experience, but I am lead to believe (from reading around here) there usually is a premium in the cities.

Yea - sounds more like a new build...
    jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Its actually a friend of mine doing it

Would kill for ANY friends in the building trade...if only for advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 darealbeartooth

Interesting to see the comparisons. We are about to get the keys of a 2 bed in Dublin and will have to gut the place and re wire and replumb it. We've been advised to go with a combo boiler and get rid of stored hot water. Does anyone have rough idea of what we should be looking at paying for that with 7 rads, plus 1 bathroom and kitchen. We'll probably pick the rads and bathroom suite. Any figures would be helpful as a guide. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We rencently paid 11k for a replumb plus bathroom fitting (minus tiling, got the tiler myself) and plumbing for a washing machine under the stairs and kitchen.
    3 bedroom end of terrace house in Co. Wicklow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement