Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 toll charge/ Penalty for non payment of toll

Options
  • 02-01-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I passed through the M50 toll bridge Northbound and then Southbound on the 23rd of December on the way to collect brother at Dublin Airport.

Completely forgot to pay the tolls. Only copped it on early on Friday 29th of December and texted brother. He asked what the fine was and checked online - fine is €3.00 on top of the €3.10 that needs to be paid. So I worked out the total fee including the fine to be €12.20? - €3.10 * 2 for Northbound and Southbound journey and fine * 2 for Northbound and Southbound journey.

Brother said he'd pay online - he paid for 4 journeys - €12.40 thinking he was paying the 2 tolls and the 2 penalties - this was without any First Penalty notice being received. He made this payment the same day 29th of Dec.

Made the return journey to airport on Sunday 31st of December so again passed the toll bridge Northbound and then Southbound less than an hour later. I didn't make any payments for the tolls assuming that brothers previous payment was covering these journeys and the first penalty notice for the journeys on the 23rd of December was still pending in the post.

Today I received a First Penalty Notice (STR) for the Southbound journey only on the 23rd of December. Applicable toll €3.10 and Penalty for non-payment of toll being €3.00 - total payable €6.10. As per letter payment must be made on or before the 9th of January and should there be a failure to pay this balance by due date an additional €41.00 per journey will be applied.

Wasn't really sure where I stood, didn't make any payment and rang eflow and the operator told me nothing is due now as it stands.

I would have thought on the face of it that a fine for the Northbound and Southbound journey made on 23rd of December is still outstanding? Also even if the letter was sent before the payment was made on 29th of December would there be a toll charge and penalty for non payment of toll for both Northbound and Southbound journey?

Just really want to make sure I wont incur an additional €41.00 charge. To be honest I didn't get the impression the phone operator was overly competent and my gut seems to be telling me that eflow is not the most transparent or dare I say honest of operations.

Advertisement