Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apart Hotel Sallins

Options
  • 02-01-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Has anyone else been reading about the planning permission application for an Apart Hotel to be built in the waterways sallins I first saw it in the leinster leader. I have read on other sites though this is to be used by the council for emergency housing as it is an apartment hotel thus each room has kitchen facilities.

There was an application first to have it as a nursing home but then this was declined the application for the planning for the apart hotel is due to be made in February. However some are saying its going to pass as its in the councils interest. There are so many hotels in Naas and there not selling out by any means thus I cant help but believe what I have read like why would sallins need a hotel ? So is sallins going to become a council hot spot.

I was already anxious about the hotel as the traffic in sallins is unbelievable bad I que just to get out of my housing estate and now they want to add a hotel to the mix in the worst possible area right at the new lights they put in at oldbridge station/waterways junction where the traffic tails back. its a four cycle set of lights its chaos and now add more cars for the hotel.

Would you like the apart hotel in sallins 23 votes

Yes you think there should be a hotel in Sallins
    4% 1 vote
    No you dont think there should a hotel in Sallins
    95% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hero001

I read this in the Leader also, The first thing that came to my mine was that Kerry had done a deal with them, as they have a lot of people in Hotels around Naas.

Although there are a lot of Hotels in Naas, demand in high, with both Lawlors and The Osprey currently seeking permission to add extra rooms.

Traffic is of course a problem in Sallins, but the developer will say that there is already planning permission for a hotel in place and that the Sallins bypass will deal with the current problem.

If you want to object, perhaps the best way would be to try to make sure that they can offer short stay only, with no long term lettings and that it requires a high quality finish to attract tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

Teddy1690 wrote: »
    Hi,

... I have read on other sites though this is to be used by the council for emergency housing as it is an apartment hotel thus each room has kitchen facilities... So is sallins going to become a council hot spot.

I was already anxious about the hotel as the traffic in sallins is unbelievable ...

Are you objecting to a hotel or to it's use as emergency accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Teddy1690

I am at this moment not happy with the hotel and the emergency accommodation is just additional concern. It does take three cycles of lights just to get out of the waterways junction because of the cars parked there using the train that is now going to tail back worst. I know there is a bypass due but that is years away and this will not fix the problem as you are talking about cars all going the same route for Supervalu, train station, residents, pharmacy etc and now a hotel, coffee shop. If you know the lights at the waterways junction you know this is a long slow set of lights which even if the road is less busy from the bypass this wont change the number of cars created from the development in the waterways. Osberstown is getting bigger there looking at another 100 houses. I am all for business and community growth but a hotel in that small space with such poor infrastructure. We need more facilities in sallins not more problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Don't believe the utter BS spouted by social media. Pure scaremongering rubbish.

ApartHotels are in the main used by those on short-term work contracts. Locating beside a rail station that can whisk you into the city in 20-30 minutes is excellent. - AOL beside Heustion are a classic example where they can have a number of staff over for a 2 month or 3 month stint from their Baltimore operation.

And even if a few rooms are used by those temporarily homeless - where's the issue. Some are in the Osprey and I've never heard a problem there.

As for the ByPass - maybe you are living under a rock - the work has started and it will be open Summer 2019.

Pure Nimbyism imo. - With a racial undertone

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hero001

There is an almost complete Hotel on the site for the best part of 10 years, so the chances of getting this approval are high. Zoning allows for it, and previously planning decision also supports it.

A Hotel was already part of the plan for the complex, and I'm sure that there are a lot of people who would prefer to see a Hotel open in preferred to what's currently there.

The Hotel will most likely need some level of parking, so there is a good change that they will reclaim the car park currently used by train commuters. This may however mean that the underground Park and Ride car park may be reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Teddy1690 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone else been reading about the planning permission application for an Apart Hotel to be built in the waterways sallins I first saw it in the leinster leader. I have read on other sites though this is to be used by the council for emergency housing as it is an apartment hotel thus each room has kitchen facilities.

There was an application first to have it as a nursing home but then this was declined the application for the planning for the apart hotel is due to be made in February. However some are saying its going to pass as its in the councils interest. There are so many hotels in Naas and there not selling out by any means thus I cant help but believe what I have read like why would sallins need a hotel ? So is sallins going to become a council hot spot.

I was already anxious about the hotel as the traffic in sallins is unbelievable bad I que just to get out of my housing estate and now they want to add a hotel to the mix in the worst possible area right at the new lights they put in at oldbridge station/waterways junction where the traffic tails back. its a four cycle set of lights its chaos and now add more cars for the hotel.

Having a hotel at a railway station makes sense in land use planning terms.

Not sure what housing estate you live in but in case you’re in any doubt, a multitude of people objected to it during the planning stage and even more winge that the traffic lights at the Waterways junction should be removed.....take a ticket and join the end of a long queue of people objecting to planning applications for their own private reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

CeilingFly wrote: »
    ... With a racial undertone

Thats a bit of a stretch. Emergency accommodation could be used by any nationality.
    HonalD wrote: »
    .take a ticket and join the end of a long queue of people objecting to planning applications for their own private reasons.

I'd prefer to see local residents objecting for reasons that impact them directly. If some residents want to improve traffic management, object to the hotel and a deal might be brokered to improve traffic flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

My point is that there is a culture of objection which is a recurring cycle of complaint to individual permissions. There is an area wide Development Plan which gives a decent outline of how land use will be divided so any surprise that a hotel is located in Sallins reflects a disconnect with the plans for the general area. I’m sure if a hotel was being located at the other end of the village, those objecting wouldn’t have a problem.

Advertisement