Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equal pay

Options
  • 02-01-2018 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I work for a large pharmacy chain and I recently did in house exams to qualify as a healthcare advisor but they have not increased my wages accordingly . I am working alongside people with the same qualifications and same length of service but on a lower wage. Is this legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I work for a large pharmacy chain and I recently did in house exams to qualify as a healthcare advisor but they have not increased my wages accordingly . I am working alongside people with the same qualifications and same length of service but on a lower wage. Is this legal?

Yes. As long as you are paid above minimum wage and you are not being discriminated against on any of the recognised nine grounds, your pay is a matter of agreement with your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

There is nothing illegal about it.

Its up to you to decide if the work you do is worth what you are paid.
    If you disagree with what you are paid then raise it with your employer.

In the past 10 years ive asked and fought for multiple promotions and raises. Its time for you to do the same if you think you are worth it.

Employers rarely just hand out money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Your pay has nothing to do with the others around you. They could be better negotiators, better qualified, hell even just friendlier with those above!

You have to outline as a performance review why you deserve a pay increase. If they don't grant it then you either accept it and move on, or find a better paying job elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod

Op I've closed your other thread, no need to start multiple threads on the same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What the hell is a Healthcare advisor and who is it accredited by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

myshirt wrote: »
    What the hell is a Healthcare advisor and who is it accredited by?

It’s an in-house qualification - just means you’ve passed the company’s own standards to advise on OTC remedies and first aid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It’s an in-house qualification - just means you’ve passed the company’s own standards to advise on OTC remedies and first aid

We don't know what the op is on, but I cannot see how that would justify any payrise beyond minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's legal, depends on the pharmacy chain. Most of them offer an in house course however when you sign up it explicitly stated that it's no guarantee of a role as a healthcare advisor. For example I know people who are healthcare trained and jump on the counter when required but at the moment are just employed as customer assistants as they aren't in role on a permanent basis. its legal but this is a conversation for your manager to see what's in store for your future.

myshirt wrote: »
    We don't know what the op is on, but I cannot see how that would justify any payrise beyond minimum wage.

In the pharmacy business a healthcare advisor with 5 years experience can earn up to €14ish an hour, a fair whack above minimum wage. One year experience would probably be around 11.50-12 per hour so if the OP is on minimum wage I'm not surprised they are disappointed by a lack of an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

duffman13 wrote: »
    In the pharmacy business a healthcare advisor with 5 years experience can earn up to €14ish an hour, a fair whack above minimum wage. One year experience would probably be around 11.50-12 per hour so if the OP is on minimum wage I'm not surprised they are disappointed by a lack of an increase.

That seems a bit high - technicians earn €14-€18ish an hour and they hold a much higher qualification

• Advertisement

That seems a bit high - technicians earn €14-€18ish an hour and they hold a much higher qualification

That's from experience, I'm in HR in the industry, Technicians can get a lot more than that in some places aswell. But yeah they'd usually start on €14ish euro whereas that would be the top rate for healthcare advisor after 5 years.

Advertisement