Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blogs vs instagram vs snapchat vs youtube vs facebook

• 02-01-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Which is everyones favourite social media consumption tool?

I ask because I used to have a written blog on wordpress with an accompanying facebook page but tbh I got annoyed writing a blog, then posting about it on FB.

I now have a personal instagram account that kinda strays a bit into style blogging (although I'm not an expert). Haven't written an actual blog post in well over a year I'd say.

I'm just curious. I don't understand snapchat (tbh it's such a busy layout on the home page I click in there every now and again and quickly leave, I can't figure it out. Instagram is nice and clean!!) but I know it's probably the main "fast" social media outlet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Snapchat: I tried for a few months but gave up. I learned that I really dislike it when people talk to the camera and I really dislike all those inane filters. The lack of a search function meant that I found it very hard to find people to follow

Facebook: a necessary evil IMO. I use it mainly to stay in touch with the various blogging groups of which I’m a member. From a personal viewpoint, I haven’t posted a personal status in ages. From a blog perspective, their new attitude to reducing organic reach unless you pay for advertising or boosts, turns me right off.

Instagram: probably my favourite platform. Love Instagram stories as a means of communicating and I think there’s a higher quality of content than on Snapchat. When Insta Stories launched, I pretty much dumped Snapchat immediately. I could immediately engage with all my IG followers rather than trying to individually add people on Snap (as it doesn’t have a decent search function).

Blog: I still blog, though frequency is impacted by work. I’ve used Blogger since the start (over 9 years ago). I’m considering moving to a custom, self-hosted website in order to give me more control.

Twitter: love Twitter also as a means of communicating and have had great success there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The problem about snapchat and insta stories is that they disappear so you can't go back and look up the colour of that lipstick you liked or the discount code or whatever, the next day or weeks later.

What I also dislike about snapchat is the lack of a timer, you don't know how long a story is. One Saturday before Christmas I cleaned my entire kitchen and washed the floor and this person's snapchat story still hadn't finished!

I prefer fb, even if it's only a few lines linking to a blog. I'm more likely to see that than I am to remember to check a blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Instagram is my favourite, by a mile. I think Snapchat has lost some of the market since Instagram introduced instastories, I do still like it but would prefer instagram.
    Facebook is dying a death imo. The only people posting updates on my newsfeed would be my older relatives.
    Other than that it just seems to be meme after meme. Would rarely see my friends posting statuses or 10+ pics of a night out like they would have years ago. Its only useful for reading reviews nowadays.
    Would rarely venture on to youtube, I'd have to be very bored.
    I used to use it regularly for make up tutorials but what with them now being more commonplace on Instagram, there's no need any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Ultimately, Snapchat lacks a quantifiable metric for businesses and advertisers to assess someones followers and reach, like Instagram does. I believe more and more you will see organisations prefer to engage with 'influencers' via instagram than snapchat because of this. Same goes for YT and FB and Twitter.

Over time, SC will be just something kids mess about with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think I read a while back that Snapchat have done a deal with Oracle to use their Exadata technology to deliver analytics, which is something that’s badly missing from their platform.

Snapchat is obviously hugely popular, but right now it’s hard to measure (and value) that popularity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

For reviews I like blogs or facebook (and to a lesser extent youtube) because you can search and read something that was posted weeks or months ago. I don't like how facebook and instagram restrict what people can see, I've missed out seeing posts by bloggers because of this and makes me feel like I can't depend or trust fb/insta to show me what I've subscribed to. At least with a blog, most have an email subscription so I get an email notification of a new post.

Snapchat at this stage is just waffle and I feel if I didn't watch it for a few days I wouldn't really miss anything. I usually let it play while I'm preparing food or getting ready in the morning. At least with instastories you know how long a story is going to be and they can link things there. But I still do swipe through a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks everyone, that's quite interesting. Real mix of views but certainly seems I'm missing nothing by not using my Snapchat for anything other than silly filters in pics to my friends! :P

Advertisement