Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using tv with pc for console like experience

Options
  • 30-12-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice!

Have a new Pc, Ryzen 5 1600, gtx1060 6gb, 16gb 3000mhx ddr4 and a 144hz monitor.

But thinking would like now and again to have a console like experience on tv upstairs with Xbox 360 controllers.

Have 240 meg broadband with homeplugs for reasonable broadband "wired" connection upstairs.

Was looking at steam link which seems very cheap right now and also works well with 360 controller and wireless keyboards and mice ir seems. But limited to just steam based games?

Any other options?? Don't want to have to run downstairs other than when I power on the pc I guess. Understand will lose quality and frame rates and lag, just looking for something for casual use.

Cheers!

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nvidia shield is another more expensive option, or there's an android app called moonlight game streaming that uses the shield software.

You can play non steam games through the steam link though, as you can just alt tab out of steam big picture mode and use your pc however you like. Alternatively you can also add non steam games to your steam library.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can add non-steam games to the Steam client or you can just minimise Big Picture Mode and use your PC as normal.

I’ve a similar network setup as you. 240Mbps broadband (not that it matters) with newish homeplug connection (this matters) to the PC upstairs. Lag is very small and the Steamlink works great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have an nVidia Shield, let's me play any games from the pc but as others have said, I'm pretty sure the Steam Link does it too and for cheaper, but the Shield is a full android box too so it has Netflix and YouTube etc.

Advertisement