Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver coins

Options
  • 30-12-2017 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if there is much of a difference in price when it comes to selling silver coins. I'm looking at buying some from Estonia and there is a huge difference in prices ranging from €16.25 for a 1oz Vienna Philharmonic up to €22.95 for a 1oz Lunar II Rooster and everything in between. I'm not looking to buy a huge amount (going to start with 20 coins). Any advise would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

For what reason? Silver is around 14€ per ounce, so if it's an investment not worth it (paying nearly double the actual metal value)

Coins are priced on popularity/availability which doesn't equate to a return when trying to resell them - like the Antarctic Explorers set that was quite profitable due to low issue numbers and everybody wanting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

fritzelly wrote: »
    For what reason? Silver is around 14€ per ounce, so if it's an investment not worth it (paying nearly double the actual metal value)

Coins are priced on popularity/availability which doesn't equate to a return when trying to resell them - like the Antarctic Explorers set that was quite profitable due to low issue numbers and everybody wanting it!

Thanks for that. I'm looking to buy and hold as a long term investment, I'll be adding to this over time. So as regards selling them on the amount paid when I sell will only be in around the spot price of silver is what you're saying is that right? So with that in mind should buy the lower priced coin

Wouldn't bother speculating on coin prices (or at least if you do want to then go for gold) - check silver/gold pricing over the years. Buying coins you are paying a premium. On top of that you are buying from a small country (relatively) which may make it harder to judge are they really worth anything.
    Look at the UK's mint - produces sets in the 10's of thousands and are quite expensive but still popular for collectors.

Price of the metal + sellers market (or buyers if there is no demand) is what's going to determine the selling price - with silver it's hardly going to go up if at all (middling price at the mo). Gold can see better returns as an investment - do you want a silver ring or a gold ring?

Either invest in the metal itself directly or play around on the markets with buying it - can be fun!

Though if the CB comes out with another set like the Arctic Explorers I will be buying it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Wouldn't bother speculating on coin prices (or at least if you do want to then go for gold) - check silver/gold pricing over the years. Buying coins you are paying a premium. On top of that you are buying from a small country (relatively) which may make it harder to judge are they really worth anything.
    Look at the UK's mint - produces sets in the 10's of thousands and are quite expensive but still popular for collectors.

Price of the metal + sellers market (or buyers if there is no demand) is what's going to determine the selling price - with silver it's hardly going to go up if at all (middling price at the mo). Gold can see better returns as an investment - do you want a silver ring or a gold ring?

Either invest in the metal itself directly or play around on the markets with buying it - can be fun!

Though if the CB comes out with another set like the Arctic Explorers I will be buying it again...

I'd like to hold the physical metal in my safe rather than on an exchange. I have investments in shares and bonds and a small amount of cryptos. Would you advise silver/gold bars over coins so?

Would you advise silver/gold bars over coins so?

Yes, at least you will be paying the market value when you buy them. Though physically holding them will make it harder to sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Yes, at least you will be paying the market value when you buy them. Though physically holding them will make it harder to sell

Goldcore sell coins without Vat which are priced around 16 at the mo so that's a wee bit dearer than spot. However if you buy spot metal you'll pay vat at 23%.

Bullish predictions for 2018 start at 22 % :) doesn't sound worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I sold one down the pub a few years ago for a profit, the rest are still in my drawer. I wouldn't bother.

Advertisement