Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low bed - Slated base on floor?

Options
  • 30-12-2017 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I am looking to sleep close to the floor, I sleep better this way as it’s cooler ( temp, not in a hip way ha ha)

I saw this slatted base and was wondering if anyone has used these slatted bases directly on the floor with a matress on top? Is it advisable? I know it’s good to have some space under a matress for air to circulate, would this be enough space for air to circulate?

Or is there an alternative for a low bed for a similar cost?

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/mattresses/slatted-bed-bases/l%C3%B6nset-slatted-bed-base-art-20278718/

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

I think that IKEA base is meant to be used with a bed frame. But if you want it that low would you not just put that mattress directly on the ground? Depending on the mattress, some don't combine well with slatted bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

emo72 wrote: »
    I think that IKEA base is meant to be used with a bed frame. But if you want it that low would you not just put that mattress directly on the ground? Depending on the mattress, some don't combine well with slatted bases.

I was considering this but I have just spent a small fortune on a memory foam matress too so I want a bit of space to have air circulating under the matress so as to stop potential damp setting in!

Appreciate the reply though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I think there needs to be a frame if the slats are to do anything.

What about something like this

https://www.made.com/kano-platform-euro-double-bed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

question about mattress. is it sprung? is it bonnell or pocketsprings? this would have a bearing on the base you use.

GingerLily wrote: »
    I think there needs to be a frame if the slats are to do anything.

What about something like this

https://www.made.com/kano-platform-euro-double-bed

That’s perfect for what I want, would probably remove the legs though!

Thanks!

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    question about mattress. is it sprung? is it bonnell or pocketsprings? this would have a bearing on the base you use.

Layered memory foam matress!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We have that slatted base . We have it on a frame bed but looking at it I see no reason why it couldn't independently sit on a floor with a mattress on it

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We have that slatted base . We have it on a frame bed but looking at it I see no reason why it couldn't independently sit on a floor with a mattress on it

While I know you are using it on a frame, how much clearance would you say there is between floor and matress? Enough for air to circulate?

Appreciate the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

frag420 wrote: »
    While I know you are using it on a frame, how much clearance would you say there is between floor and matress? Enough for air to circulate?

Appreciate the reply!

Yes . I think air would circulate , down at each end is a gap between the wooden frame and the first slat . It is very light too so would be easy to lift it occasionally and let it air . My only concern would be if the frame would hold weight ? But it holds weight here when resting on a bed frame

Advertisement