Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to house after death?

Options
  • 30-12-2017 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

David died in 1978 in Dublin. Is there any way to find out who inherited or what happened his home? He was a widower /no children. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

If he made a will there would be a record of that at the national archives in Dublin.

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/pagecurrent/B4C951B57339C2C98025810F0057286D?opendocument

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

thanks. Can anyone apply to check if David made a will?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

montgo wrote: »
    thanks. Can anyone apply to check if David made a will?

Yes anyone can once the probate has gone through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The Probate Calendars are available online from the National Archives up to the early 1980s, there are quick links to each year on the CIGO.IE website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Details in the probate extract will not include specific bequests due to data protection issues. The only way is to check if title was re-registered in the appropriate register (Register of Deeds or the Land Registry). See here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

shanew wrote: »
    The Probate Calendars are available online from the National Archives up to the early 1980s, there are quick links to each year on the CIGO.IE website

Shane, many thanks for the link. I found his name. The Grantee was Mary Lane, does this generally mean that she inherited his property?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They usually only list the principle beneficiary, but you can visit the NAI to get a full copy of the will. No issues with fires in the 1970s!

Genealogy Forum Mod

montgo wrote: »
    Shane, many thanks for the link. I found his name. The Grantee was Mary Lane, does this generally mean that she inherited his property?

I think the name is usually the executor i.e. the person granted the probate - who could also be a beneficiary.

if you have a specific Dublin address I can check 1984 Thom's to see if it's listed (pm the details if you wish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I had to check up on this again ...it is not straightforward, as a key document in Probate is the Revenue affidavit, which is not available to most. Peregrinus will no doubt confirm what is available to the general public.

The High Court
    Notice and Practice Direction
    Probate

The Succession Act 1965
    section 42

42 (1) The following documents -

(a) all original wills of which representation is granted in the Probate Office,

(b) copies of all wills and originals of which are to be preserved in District Probate Registries, and

(c) such other documents as the President of the High Court may direct, shall be deposited and preserved in the Probate Office under the control of the President of the High Court and may be inspected in accordance with his directions.

Pursuant to subsection (1) of section 42 of the Succession Act 1965, I hereby direct as follows:

1. The reference at paragraph (c) of the said subsection to such other documents as the President of the High Court may direct to be deposited and preserved in the Probate Office shall comprise such documents as are required to make application to the Probate Office or District Probate Registry for the issue of a grant of representation in a deceased person's estate.

2. On the issue of the grant of representation, such documents are to be made available for inspection by the public with the exception of the inland revenue affidavit to which the following conditions shall apply:

(A) The inventory of a deceased person's estate as is contained in the inland revenue affidavit may be inspected by a person who is:

(i) a beneficiary named in the will of the deceased person which has been proved in the Probate Office or a District Probate Registry,

(ii) entitled to share in the estate of a deceased person,

(iii) a creditor of the deceased whose debt has been admitted by the estate or proved by the creditor in question, or is a creditor of the deceased in any other case where the Judge of the High Court exercising probate jurisdiction shall so direct

(iv) entitled to bring proceedings against the estate pursuant to Section 117 of the Succession Act 1965.

(B) All information as is contained in the inland revenue affidavit and in which a government department or government agency has a legitimate interest may be inspected by an employee of such department or agency

Provided that the person/s seeking to inspect such documentation under (A) or (B) establishes to the satisfaction of the Probate Officer, District Probate Registrar or Judge of the High Court exercising probate jurisdiction, as the case may be, that it is appropriate to authorise such inspection.

Dated 4th day of June 2015
    Nicholas J. Kearns
    President of the High Court

• Advertisement
Advertisement