Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Mega Drive(at games)won't work on T.V.

Options
  • 30-12-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Hi lads
    We got a Sega mega drive for the young lad at Christmas with the 81 built in games

However I can't get it to work on the t.v.
    I have tried all cables. Not very tech savvy.
    Do I need an adapter cable ??
    It's a Samsung TV (No SCART only a HDMI lead)

Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What cable does the Megadrive clone thingy use? Is it HDMI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Have you selected the right HDMI source on the TV, usually there are 2 or 3 minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Just had a quick look on Amazon uk and they have scart to hdmi adapters for around 20quid. Im sure they are available for cheaper on ebay... Pretty bad that these mega drives are not hdmi ready... Anyway hope this helps

What connection comes from the game?
    What connections do you have on the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Snotty wrote: »
    What connection comes from the game?
    What connections do you have on the TV?

It has 3 AV cables (Red white and yellow) at each end going into the device and the tv but when I turn on the tv it's not reading it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sounds like you're trying to plug AV composite cables into a HDMI input? That won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Inviere

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    It has 3 AV cables (Red white and yellow) at each end going into the device and the tv but when I turn on the tv it's not reading it

You need to manually change the selected source/input on the tv

Dubliner28 wrote: »

The tv won't automatically 'read', you need to select the channel (source).
    From the sounds of it, you do not need more adaptors or anything like that, you just need the correct TV source selected.

Snotty wrote: »
    The tv won't automatically 'read', you need to select the channel (source).
    From the sounds of it, you do not need more adaptors or anything like that, you just need the correct TV source selected.

Thanks all
    Up and running but screen is now in black and white
    I've checked all various ports and swapped cables around in them but still in black and white

Pics here thanks

• Advertisement

Instantly I'd think it's a PAL/NTSC issue, is there a menu on your TV which picks region automatically, if there is, change it to NTSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Have a look here - https://www.google.ie/search?q=black+and+white+composite+video&oq=black+and+white+composite&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.16829j0j7&client=ms-android-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

On the phone and feeding baby so can't link properly. :-)

Looks like you may have connected those composite leads to component inputs. Some TVs seem to allow those inputs either take a composite or component signal, which one can be selected in the TV menus.

If we knew the make and model of your TV it would make it easier to see what needs to be done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Quick photo of the back of the telly, be sure to plug the red, yellow and white plugs into the same coloured sockets.
    The sockets should be labelled as "AV-1" or similar, look then for that label in the source menu on the TV.
    Then you should be good to go.

Also, those plug'n play Megadrives are pants, buy a real one instead!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

agreed.
    cant beat the real thing with everdrive

Advertisement