Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temple bar- a violent disgrace or a national treasure?

Options

Comments

Every single international city on earth has a “Temple bar”
    Ours is tame in comparison
    Tourists go there cos they already know what to expect
    As a Dubliner I enjoy walking through it, it can be beautiful at times

Liverpool’s Mathew Street, Amsterdam’s Red Light, Hamburg’s Reeperbahn, Prague.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Probably does not have the police presence that would be common in other countries but not a bad spot imo. Bit pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Probably does not have the police presence that would be common in other countries but not a bad spot imo. Bit pricey

A bit? €7 upwards for a pint is “a bit” ..... it’s a bit disgraceful is what it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A bit? €7 upwards for a pint is “a bit” ..... it’s a bit disgraceful is what it is

Meh - a few euro on a night out does not make a huge difference. You are talking about €10 over 5 drinks.

Paris costs more

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Meh - a few euro on a night out does not make a huge difference. You are talking about €10 over 5 drinks.

Paris costs more

You also have to take into account the entertainment provided while you are having those 5 drinks.For me that makes for reasonable value.Also allow that the quality of the musicians is very high.

• Advertisement

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    You also have to take into account the entertainment provided while you are having those 5 drinks.For me that makes for reasonable value.Also allow that the quality of the musicians is very high.

Well that's it. It is the total expereience which is what visitors seem to love and are willing to pay for. If you are looking for cheap drinks to binge on and don't care about venue then go somewhere else or drink at home (or both).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Temple Bar is good insofar it's a defined tourist area that you can avoid and it stops the surrounding areas becoming too overrun with tourists.

I'm old enough to remember it being an empty, semi derelict area so at least it looks relatively OK and generates tourist income now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As someone said above, if it had a bigger police presence it would be fine. It’s not that big an area. Every city has one. I’ve never seen too much trouble anytime I’ve been. The “vomit and pi$$” etc that people go on about is overblown as far as I can tell. It’s good craic an the tourists love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

It's a f***king overpriced kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

When it's not packed on Friday/Saturday night, it's really nice to walk through. Good atmosphere and the buildings and cobblestones are great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's neither - Temple Bar is a convenient tourist trap in a very good location for such a place, that's more or less all there is to the place. Seen a few fights and incidents there, nothing to really be worried about and no form of 'national disgrace' since that's inevitable in such a busy area with so much booze knocking about, but it's certainly no 'national treasure' either.

Personally whenever anyone mentions doing a holiday to Ireland to me, I'd tell them to spend the weekend in Dublin, do the Temple Bar thing etc, then to rent a car/get a bus and feck off up and down the west coast for most of the remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Needs more policing. Few beat Gardaí accompanied by a reserve each. Easily done. Problem is that management use up their reserve hours on things like sporting events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I like it for the Palace and the Foggy. Both reasonably priced and lovely pubs. I do a bit of shopping in Rory Fishing Tackle. The lady that runs it is great for the advice.

Advertisement