Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pursued by bear

Options
  • 29-12-2017 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Time for start a training log myself, I’ve been lurking following many of the logs here with interest this year! Contribution time!

Background

42, male, 5’ 10”, 87 kg with little or no exercise of any note in probably 25 years (no exaggeration) and I probably should not have been too surprised at how poor my fitness was at a work event last year.

Got a bike on the bike to work scheme at the start of the year, and it got in my way occasionally in the garage and I had to move it. That’s about as much exercise as it delivered me. I just never felt comfortable cycling near traffic.

In April 2017 there was 1.5 KM run with the kids associated with the Great Limerick Run, ran it, survived it, and was surprised to have actually enjoyed it.

Did my first 5K Parkrun the following weekend and was delighted to finish it in just over 31 minutes…I was hooked and been chasing that feeling since!

Fast forward six months with the “get out and run” hack approach to training and I am still enjoying it. The mental and physical benefits to running is something that I want and need to maintain.

Looking forward to 2018 and following a proper training plan for a good showing at the Great Limerick Run (Half Marathon) to mark the 12 month “anniversary” is the goal now. In hindsight, Clonakility 2017 was a step too far for me this year based on where my endurance level was, it put manners on me (but felt I learned loads from the experience)!

I’ll figure out the plan in the coming days, hopefully I will maintain this log as a mean to keeping to that plan. Fingers crossed!

End 2017 Results

11 Nov 5 k - 23:54
    26 Dec 10 k - 51:38
    09 Dec Clonakilty 1/2 Marathon - 2:15:43
    Weight: 79.6 (pre-Christmas though!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RazorEdge

Back to work tomorrow after an extended Christmas break, didn’t do much running over the last four weeks, not really sure why. I think it was the week break from running I took after the half marathon, followed by the change of routine over the Christmas break. I think a little bit of me was also wary of starting again and finding out the enthusiasm was gone! Two Parkruns and a St. Stephens Day 10K was the sum total of the activity in the last few weeks. 80 seconds has gone missing in my local Parkrun time, I have slipped back to 25:15. Anyway, time to look ahead rather than back.

I went ahead and signed up for the Great Limerick Run Half Marathon in May, I see they have the banners up around already around Limerick for this. The Run Clare Series (5K, 5 Mile, 10K, 10 Mile) line up nicely in preparation for this so signed up for that as well.

The first in this series (5K) is end of this month, I want to do this in sub 24 and get back to where I was in November. Time to get out there running again, felt very sluggish out there running yesterday. Weight is currently 79.7 KG, 75 KG is probably what I should be aiming for.

So, 2018 goals.
    - 5K : 23:XX
    - 10K: 49:XX
    - Half: 1:59:XX
    - Weight: 75 KG

I’ve joined a local running club, and hopefully will learn loads from the “real runners” now in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck. Clonakilty is a tough half marathon to start with so I would be very happy with that time. That hill in the middle and the rolling hills after are fairly challenging to say the least.

Looking forward to seeing how you go.

Advertisement