Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trailer test.

Options
  • 29-12-2017 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Mods. Sorry if this isnt in the right forum. Feel free to move

Looking to get this out of the way this year.

From what i gather i need to

1) Do a new theroy test
    2) Get a provisional BE licence
    3) Get some lessons
    4) Pass test
    5) Party on.

My question is whats the trailer test like ? is it a full driving test again ?

Also is the theory test different for the BE licence? will an up to date book cover it all ?

Cheers

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you've already taken a theory test then you won't have to repeat it for a BE learner permit.

Lessons aren't mandatory but are advisable, of course.

As for taking the test, I really can't advise but am curious about doing this test myself.

Are you aware that you can tow a pretty substantial trailer with your B licence?
    B%20Lience.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dashoonage wrote: »
    ...From what i gather i need to

1) Do a new theroy test
    2) Get a provisional BE licence
    3) Get some lessons
    4) Pass test
    5) Party on....
    Probably not what you wish to hear but, if towing a trailer which requires a BE Learner Permit, you'll also be legally obliged to be accompanied by a holder of a BE Licence (when on public roads).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you've already taken a theory test then you won't have to repeat it for a BE learner permit.

Lessons aren't mandatory but are advisable, of course.

As for taking the test, I really can't advise but am curious about doing this test myself.

Are you aware that you can tow a pretty substantial trailer with your B licence?
    B%20Lience.png

Does that say i can tow 3500 on a B licence ?
    Probably not what you wish to hear but, if towing a trailer which requires a BE Learner Permit, you'll also be legally obliged to be accompanied by a holder of a BE Licence (when on public roads).

Ya, im ok with that, tis the law sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

dashoonage wrote: »
    Does that say i can tow 3500 on a B licence ?

Ya, im ok with that, tis the law sure.

No you cannot town3599kg.

The combined dgvw can be up to 3500kg.

So if your car has a dgvw of 2000 kg you could tow a trailer of dgvw 1500kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

_Brian wrote: »
    No you cannot town3599kg.

The combined dgvw can be up to 3500kg.

So if your car has a dgvw of 2000 kg you could tow a trailer of dgvw 1500kg.

ya thats what i was thinking. My car has a braked towing capacity of 2000kg so trailer can be 1500kg then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If the trailer is under 750 kgs you can tow it on the B license anything over that and its BE, I regularly tow trailers over the 750 kgs but never sat a test for it so wouldn't know what the requirements are as in due you have to show how to hitch up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

i have a caddy van and tow a double axle trailer once the two of them don.t go over 3500 kg as it shows in the picture i think i wright?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

jacob2 wrote: »
    i have a caddy van and tow a double axle trailer once the two of them don.t go over 3500 kg as it shows in the picture i think i wright?

No.

Find out what the max gross weight of your van is, if exoect 2000kg if not a bit more for the caddy.

So your allowed 3500kg total.
    So I expect your covered to tow a trailer DESIGNED to be no more than ~1500kg loaded. Most builders style trailers are rated at 2500kg.

I have an 8*4 single axle nugent and it’s rated at 1400kg, but their twins are 2500kg

It’s not your actual weight, it’s the designed weight that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If the trailer is under 750 kgs you can tow it on the B license anything over that and its BE, I regularly tow trailers over the 750 kgs but never sat a test for it so wouldn't know what the requirements are as in due you have to show how to hitch up etc.

That statement is untrue.

here is a good video on what the test is like

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    That statement is untrue.

Are you sure about that ?

Are you sure about that ?

Yes.
    Holder of B licence can tow a trailer provided sum of dgvw (design gross vehicle weight) of both car and trailer doesn't exceed 3500kg

CiniO wrote: »
    Yes.
    Holder of B licence can tow a trailer provided sum of dgvw (design gross vehicle weight) of both car and trailer doesn't exceed 3500kg

I find that odd as lads I know did the test so they could tow a boat on a twin axel trailer, As I've said i never did the test for car and trailer as I got the licence with the artic.

I find that odd as lads I know did the test so they could tow a boat on a twin axel trailer, As I've said i never did the test for car and trailer as I got the licence with the artic.

Most twin axle trailers available in Ireland have D.G.V.W over 2 tonnes.
    That way there's hardly any possibility you could tow one legally on B licence.

Exception would be twin axle trailer with D.G.V.W of about 1300 - 1500kg, which you'd be towing with a car of about 2000kg D.G.V.W. (not to exceed 3500kg total).

However trailers like that are very rare here IMO.

Advertisement